Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question EP Henry Coventry wall question, experts appreciated

I've been doing landscape installs for a while now, but recently been coming across more and more customers who want some sort of wallstone. So I read the ep henry catalog on wall system installation, I go on-line, read this forum, go to the local ep henry dealer talk to a few guys there ( I just missed a class by the way). So, I get another job where this couple wants ep henry wall system specifically the Coventry wall, I first asked an installer from the same ep henry dealer if he could help me. He said yes, he would give me a price for his services and show me how to start the base, use the transit for level and so on. Well It's been three weeks now and he is no where to be found, I asked other guys to help but everybody is too busy. I understand that but damn, now I'm in a jam. My problem is the wall has to be stepped up, because of the slight incline. I don't know where to start. Everything I read seems to be just talking about flat surfaces. my biggest concern is obviously the base. I'm going to put pics up soon, can anybody please suggest some pointers. Like I said, I read a few things but this guy was even supposed to help with the pricing. I don't beleive the wall will be more than three feet in it's highest point but like I said, I don't know for sure. What is the way to measure where the wall will begin so I know how high to go. This post is probably bullcrap to some but I really need help. Any help is greatly appreciated. The wall is going to be from the corner of the house to the front walkway, it's about 30' long and at it's highest point 3' tops I think. I was told to step it up, but I never did it so......
Old 04-15-2006, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Their instructions say to bury 1" of block for every 8" of exposed wall height, and they say to use a 6" thick base of compacted 3/4" modified stone, and suggest using about 1/2" of sand on top of your base for leveling your base course. so basically you need to dig a trench about 10-12" deep to allow for your base and for you to bury your base course. steping the wall up isnt as hard as it may seem, just be sure that when you need to step it up you excavate enough soil to still allow for your base and cover on the first rox of blocks. after I establish the grade of my first row i just use a 2' level and make sure each block is level and the wall is going straight, ill throw a 6' on it every once in a while just to make sure its still on.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

Im not in to ep henry i use allen block with over 100 walls completed. Check us out at www.bobcatservice33.com
That is a pretty simple wall. I bury under normal situation 1" of bock for every 1' height of wall, mostly a little stonger. Your wall 3' inheight you shoud be safe with a half of block buried on a 8" block.I have a 24" bucket on my hoeand would dig it 1.5' deep add sone in 6" lifts and compact. Around here i use a # 57 little bigger than 1" they will compact and drain. Get your footer as level as possible and start at the lowest point . Start by leveling each block, if your building on a grade run your block all level and it will start going in the ground. This is when you will start stepping, by having a deep enough footer you will have plenty of stone to work with. When you have a block running in the ground and is 3-4" under grade this is where you make the step. Go back and fill the block and backfill as neccesary. Start your second course where you first started and run out to stepped area. you will have half the block on the lower block and the rest on the gravel. Make sure your stepped area is compacted and level and keep on laying out that course which now will be your first course. This is the first time i ever explained this by typing if i can be a other assistance please call me my phone # is on my web site. I can e-mail you a pic from last year from a wall 40' long 3-4' high up a driveway we had to step 14 times.
Mike
Old 04-16-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tylermcee, thank you very much. Mike your walls look really nice, I can't thank you enough for giving me your time. I will definitely call you to get a better grip on what you are saying. There are some really good people on this site and I want to thank you all for your help.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

am i wrong or do you you -use some kind of "caulking" to hold these "walls" together.Lego land la la la la la la .
Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

daveyo, where are you located? I have many associates in NJ that may be able to help you. The instructions Mike has given you are simple and accurate. If you are installing EP Henry wall, you should be able to contact a Conserv rep for their assistance.

Kirk
Old 04-16-2006, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dreams, I am in southern NJ in egg harbor township. That's 5 miles west of Atlantic City. I am going to call mike but would love if someone could assist or help on the job in any way. I am currently looking into taking the course, but for now I'm relying on the experts on this site and my readings. You can contact me at odonnelllawns@yahoo.com or pm me with a number. Thank you