Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2000, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

&quot; She thought I had spent an hour doing the job. Even though it took 2 hours and 30 minutes.&quot;<p>Im not picking on Charles, just happens his quote was handy to use as an example.<p>This is a big reason why you should always price your services by the job, not the hour. It will be in your favor to make a few mistakes by underestimating the time it will take to do a job, and learn from them, than to quote a customer x dollars an hour to trim or whatever. The microscope will be up your butt and the stopwatch in your face every time you price by the hour.<p>If you quote a flat rate price for a job, who cares if it takes you an hour or a day?<p>In this regard, I think the consultant experts are wrong, wrong, wrong to even suggest hourly price quotes. I learned my lessons in this regard early in my business. Never ever will you see me again quote a per hour job.<p>Bill
Old 07-27-2000, 01:11 PM

Bill, I have done it both ways. For my regular customers I charge for the hour. Because I figure after 5 or 10 years(like this customer 10). They should be able to trust me by now. I had to lug the debris accross the street into the wood and I had no idea how long that would take me. My regulars know how fast i work. Anyone else could have made an all day job out of this one.
Old 07-27-2000, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i do not charge by the hour and never have. I try to pull in about 40 BUcks per man hour. There is no way i could bill by the hour because my costmers would see 80 per hour for 2 of us and go bazerk! I have gotten experience enough over the years that i can bid acordingly to how many hours it will take and charge from that way. Its not the price that is too high for them its the fact that when they see 80 bucks for one hour work they dont understand.... Also weh you charge by the hour im sure costomers are hanging over making sure thee getting there money worth and no one is stopping for a drink. If im working alone and i bid a shrub trimming job that will take me an hour at 50 dollars that is fine with them because they are just paying for the job that im acomplishing for them not for a plain old hour of work...
Old 07-27-2000, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been in this business to long I think, yesterday a person that I was giving an estimate to( for lawn cutting only) asked me for references, I had had a long day and his attitude really sucked,so I just looked at him and then asked him for a few references to see if he could pay on time, and if he had the funds to pay me. i told him I would be cutting the lawn without him paying for anything in advance,and if he didnt like it i would be the one out of the time and money not him, so if he could just give me a few references I could find out if he could pay. He just stood there kind of shocked, while his wife stood behind him havind a good laugh. Just showed him what life is really like. By the way got his lawen and 6 neighbors lawns after they talked about me.<p>----------<br>grasskutter@cs.com<br>
Old 07-27-2000, 03:18 PM

You Da Man Grasskutter<p><p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Charles
Old 07-27-2000, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will try that Grasskutter. I'm ready to re-interview a few of my customers.
Old 07-27-2000, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GRASSCUTTER, that's the damn funniest thing I have seen on here in a WHILE!! u r da man!
Old 07-27-2000, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smitty, I have been there it is a truely thankless job. I have been undercut 10x this season on secured accts. And to gripe some more how about when the roofers or painters or what have you are there with their crap all over the place and no tells the lawn boy in advance . Just drive on over and waste our time and lose the mow then have to play make up the next time with longer turf. As for every other week mows -Charge 80% more .
Old 07-27-2000, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been looking for something smart@##ed to say to some of the jerks that we all have to deal with from time to time and I believe Ive found it. thanks grasskutter!!!
Old 07-27-2000, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats probably the best COMEBACK ive ever heard.. and the fact that it worked out great makes it even better