Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

wholesale landscape fabric

I really need to find a place where i can get lanscape fabric wholesale. please pm me if you know where i can get it from cheap. I am paying about $115 for a 6x300ft roll of the good stufn now.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would yo use it ?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I use if for weed control in flower beds (mostly new contruction before plants) and I put it Behind block retaining walls.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can see the retaining walls, but in flower/planting beds are they mulch or stone. I could also see with stone it keeps the stone from settling into the soil. With mulch the cooperative extension no longer recommeds it & I refuse to use it any way, if you ever go back to a job that had it installed before mulch, there is nice black compost on top the weeds love it, & the desired plantings are not getting the benifts of the organic matter. In this area we do very little stone in beds, mostly mulch, so we don't use it much.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never use it under mulch... Thick layer of mulch chokes off weed growth from below. Tell the home owner to spray Extended round up in a week or I'll do it for a service call.

But, on Rock installs I use it. Weeds can still grow through rock. I spray roundup on those.

I did a friends commercial property and said, "I'd Help". Never again. Now his wife is telling everyone what a wonderfull landscaper he is. And no mention of my services. Let's see, I used dump trailers and my track cat and my excavator. Picked up and delivered all materials and moved them about the sight. Showed up at 6am till 6pm.

He shows up at 3pm hung over and goes inside for a hour. Comes outside and pushes a shovel around for an hour and it's time for me to pack up. Yep, he did all the landscaping. I just helped... LOL...

We laid down some mulch and I told him to put it thick you don't need weed block. Told him to "Make Sure and Spray Roundup within a week". He sprayed roundup in 4 weeks. Then we do the front and he tells me we have to put weed block down. I ask why. He say's the weeds came through the mulch in the back. When he spread the mulch in the back he spread it 1in if that. And, I ask him if he sprayed it. He say's yes. I ask when, he mumbles. I ask again, he say's "YESTERDAY."

His wife has been bragging about the quality job he did and he should do it professionally. No mention of my company. And since they were friends I cut the price in half.

Oh, he keeps wanting to go into business with me. LOL.... He say's I don't have money but we could do it together now cause he really likes it. Hmm.... $150,000 of equipment not including trucks and he wants to walk in and take half. Oh, and not show up on time and take 5 day's to do a 10min job. Yep, I'd love to do that...LOL

NEVER AGAIN. LOL
Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I use mostly cypress mulch which does not break down as fast as regular harwood.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel for you MVERK, I had a similiar situation this spring. One of my wifes friend's (since gramar school) husband calls me they are getting ready to sell their house, last fall I helped him rip out the landscaping, he did nothing after that (not fill in ruts from truck, plantings, etc.) wants me to fix the ruts, make it look better. This is early April, not topsoil avalable here, so I dig in to my small (very 3 yd) pile get what I can (1 yd) before getting bobcat stuck, mixed it with a little dry compost, spead it best I could still damp so small clumps here & there. Spread seed he had, & starter mulch I supplied.
Told him $ 90.00, he basiclly made it seem like I was robbing him, wanted more soil which I explained I got all I could with out driving at least an hour away, & I didn't think they wanted to pay that kind of money in trucking. Now mind you I have plowed his driveway countless times for free, helped him rip out overgrown landscape using my equipment & truck for free also. As my brother says no good deed goes unpunished. I ended up not even sending out a bill, my wife offered to call her friend, I told her don't bother I don't want to cause hard feelings between them. However I have no desire to be around them, or do any more work for them (they wanted me to install the lawn at the new house, NO WAY, he will probably remove gutter down spouts extensions cause a washout, or not water, then blame me).
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fronczak View Post
I feel for you MVERK, I had a similiar situation this spring. One of my wifes friend's (since gramar school) husband calls me they are getting ready to sell their house, last fall I helped him rip out the landscaping, he did nothing after that (not fill in ruts from truck, plantings, etc.) wants me to fix the ruts, make it look better. This is early April, not topsoil avalable here, so I dig in to my small (very 3 yd) pile get what I can (1 yd) before getting bobcat stuck, mixed it with a little dry compost, spead it best I could still damp so small clumps here & there. Spread seed he had, & starter mulch I supplied.
Told him $ 90.00, he basiclly made it seem like I was robbing him, wanted more soil which I explained I got all I could with out driving at least an hour away, & I didn't think they wanted to pay that kind of money in trucking. Now mind you I have plowed his driveway countless times for free, helped him rip out overgrown landscape using my equipment & truck for free also. As my brother says no good deed goes unpunished. I ended up not even sending out a bill, my wife offered to call her friend, I told her don't bother I don't want to cause hard feelings between them. However I have no desire to be around them, or do any more work for them (they wanted me to install the lawn at the new house, NO WAY, he will probably remove gutter down spouts extensions cause a washout, or not water, then blame me).
If you're friends just right it off. He's one of my best friends.

Brought out a load of gravel and dug out a drive at a 4 plex he owns. Hauled in the rock for it and spread it. He was actually there for that. Didn't pay me anything. I don't mind helping a friend on there HOUSE. But on there Comercial property they should pay me. So, no more freebies.....
Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, from now on I'm to busy is about it when they call for somthing, they aren't my friends their the wifes (his wife & my wife), I don't want to cause a problem, I have talked to the wife when she called (I was polite & friendly), didn't bring it up, she probably has no clue (she would probably flip on him if she knew). Some friends we swap work/or $ out all the time no problem. I have one friend, I cut his grass all season, says what do I owe you?, told him I was enclosing our screen porch to a four season room, give me a hand (he is a remodeling contractor), he ended up doing much more than I had anticipated him doing , needles to say, I didn't charge him for the next season either. He & I are constantly swaping work for work. Another buddy always wants to dump sod, left over stone etc, from jobs. I'm cool with that, my place is low in a lot of area, I can always use it. Others just seem to take & take, I'm done with that, one shot thats it. Life is to short, & I have beter things to do than work on other peoples homes for free, if want to work for free I'll do t on my own home.

Last edited by Mike Fronczak; 04-22-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any one know where to get the fabric?
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com