Register free!

Old 06-18-2006, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

new lawn WEEDS!!!

Just planted my new lawn. It germinated about 6 weeks ago and the grass is coming in pretty thick and looks nice. There are some bare spots that I will take care of, but the booger is the weeds! Theyre everywhere! Maybe it's just because I have yet to mow that makes them look so bad. Should I worry about them yet? Or should I go ahead and overseed and worry about the weeds next year? I know I can pull as many as I can, but that would be pretty crazy.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where did you get your seed.......? My lawn was new last spring, it was hydroseeded. I really did worry about the weeds until this Spring. My chemical co. has really made the lawn look pretty good for 1 year. I assume you are a home owner......find a local lawn care co. that knows their stuff and consult the issues with them..

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

i got the seed from the depot

Home Depot that is. I got the best they had 99.9% weed free. Lesco brand. I cant help but think the weeds werent in the seed and they were in the top soil.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM Ventures
find a local lawn care co. that knows their stuff and consult the issues with them..

Derek
Good Advice
"But at home one is bound with petty regulations and irksome restraints.....He feels lost even in great crowds, for nothing and no one seem in sympathy. The people he knows may be good fellows, but they do not understand him, and he does not understand them. he longs to get back to the bush, for there he felt an exaltation that no civilized land can possibly supply." -Denis D. Lyell
Old 06-18-2006, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

most broadleaf weed control products are labled for application after the 3rd mowing. so if your lawn has been cut 3 times, then go ahead and spray the weeds, and if your conserned about it, then just spot spray. you will need to kill the weeds to lessen the compatition for growth. and yes the weed seed was most likly in the soil, not the bag.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would certainly wait a few more weeks. It's been 6 weeks, but I feel that you still have some more viable grass seed in there Do NOT spray with weed killer right now! you still have too tender of new seedings. Just keep it watered and do NOT let the soil go dry. This is when you can and will lose many of the seedlings. Bare with it for awhile, and spray after the weather cools down. In the early fall. The only way to really safely do this would be to spray it with drive 75, and the cost factor makes that impracticle. patience is a virtue and cost wise, this is the most practicle way to go. Also, just ecause you have some weeds right now, do not forget to keep feeding it (low nitrogen, high potassium). You're on the right track.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I would bet the farm that well over half of them weeds are going to disappear after the first mowing.

The weeds did not come from the grass seed. The soil is loaded with weed seeds just waiting for a chance to germinate.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you use straw?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you can use a product called quicksilver. that will take care of all the annual weeds that pop up in newly seeded lawn. It wont take care of perennial weeds. If you want to control the crabgrass, cut your mixture with some drive.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Does quicksilver harm the grass and make it so i wont be able to overseed in the fall?