Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that price weekly or monthly?

Does anybody ever show up to give an estimate and have a customer ask this? It is one of the most annoying questions I get....I always want to respond, "what the hell do you think?"
Old 04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New way is "MONTHLY"....everybody wants a fixed amount to pay, and most don't mind it being year round.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No the kicker iwhen they ask "does that $30.00 include trimming the hedges"

That is hilaroius to me.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bid a lawn yesterday for $40. The guy wasn't home so I left it on the door. On my proposals it has a spot for me to circle weekly or monthly. I circled weekly. He leaves a message for me to call him to discuss service. I'm thinking cool I got the bid. This fool answers and ask me if $40 is per week. I say yes sir and he says Oh that's more then I can afford. I'm thinking why did this guy waste my time calling to ask an obvious question, but then I realized he was baiting me to lower my price. Sorry Mr. better luck next time

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
I bid a lawn yesterday for $40. The guy wasn't home so I left it on the door. On my proposals it has a spot for me to circle weekly or monthly. I circled weekly. He leaves a message for me to call him to discuss service. I'm thinking cool I got the bid. This fool answers and ask me if $40 is per week. I say yes sir and he says Oh that's more then I can afford. I'm thinking why did this guy waste my time calling to ask an obvious question, but then I realized he was baiting me to lower my price. Sorry Mr. better luck next time
Oh I always get the ones who HAVE to tell me that 'I will call you tomorrow' and then like I already know it, no call all the next day from them... But then, surprise surprise, 2 weeks later they call !!! Just like you, I get kinda excited thinking cool I got it, but I have learned in time this is just a tactic... Funny, it's almost as if they think I would sit around the phone all this time just waiting for them to call, my ONE and ONLY customer (sorry but I just had to).
It is for this reason when they play the 2-week waiting game, it goes up another 5 dollars... Especially when they told me they'd call me the next day, but also when they inform me that 'oh well we're getting other prices' before or after I mention mine.

I'd still like to know why they have to tell me that 'I will call you tomorrow...' (some tell me 2 or 3 times lol)
If they just waited the 2 weeks without the bs it would not only serve the same purpose but it would likely fail to alert me as much.
Guess it's a good thing, I can always use the extra alerts.

Last edited by topsites; 04-19-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Oh I always get the ones who HAVE to tell me that 'I will call you tomorrow' and then like I already know it, no call all the next day from them... But then, surprise surprise, 2 weeks later they call !!! Just like you, I get kinda excited thinking cool I got it, but I have learned in time this is just a tactic.
It is for this reason when they play the 2-week waiting game, it goes up another 5 dollars.

I had a new one do that to me this month. I gave her the bid and she said she would call me within the week. I got the call Monday after 2.5 weeks of growth. The first cut was double what I told her and she was stunned and wondered why.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay
Old 04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well for me it all depends on weather, pine cones, and just general repore from customer. However, most the time in closing the bid I let them know that next week due to this or that it's going to be X amount. This either gets a answer within 24 hrs or a get the fu#$ off my yard.