Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Triton making lots of dust!

I have to say I love the way the new Triton deck cuts and sucks up just about anything, but the dust this thing kicks up with vac or no vac is just unbelievable. I feel like I am going to have to buy a dust mask or something. Everyday I come home from mowing, my mower,inside of my nose and air filter is covered with dust. We havent had a whole lot of rain lately but the lawns are still growing good. It seems like every little bare spot on someones lawn where the dirt is showing, it just sucks up a crap load of dirt to shoot in the air. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Jason
3- 36" walk behinds
16'X8' trailer
3 Stihl FS100 weedwackers,
2 echo PB-650 backpack blowers,
1 Little Wonder 11hp blower.
Lesco walk behind Aerator
Old 04-21-2006, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I've noticed quite a bit of suction. The new deck appears to be as much vacuum as it is mower. But I think this is a good thing. I have been mowing at full tilt (9.5 MPH for my HP) with my 50" Triton. I should not be able to do that (especially since my lawn isn't very flat). But the cut has been glass smooth...really. I figure it must have something to do with the suction causing the grass blades to stand up while they're being cut. But yes, I've noticed a lot of dust at areas that I have been reseeding (not on the regular lawn). In fact I'm fairly certain it has sucked the grass seed right out of the ground too. Pretty cool.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

If it is dry you will need to "close" the discharge opening up.
it has 2 bolts on top of the deck and you can adjust it, if you close it up it will shoot the grass and debris farther out and you will be much cleaner from the dust, however if it is wet you should find a happy middle with that.
you may have to play with it to fit your conditions, i did it in about 15 min and have left it where it is since