Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

slow year !!!

i have had my ad in the paper for about one and a half months now in connecticut, and ive only had 3 calls !!! what is going on??? i also notice alot of ads this year from those who claim to beat any ones price and one i saw this week it read, LAWN MOWING, NEXT YEAR HIGH SCHOOL GRAD, WITH A AUTO LIC, PUSH MOWER AND A QUAD. FOR A DEAL ON MOWING CALL CELL### AND NO NAME.... I SWEAR THAT IM AT THE POINT WERE I GET PISSSSSSSSSSSS@@@@ WHEN I READ THE PAPER........ has any one elso been dealing with this same thing in CT.??
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Guess Its Just Me!!!
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm guessing you are talking about the Foothills Trader? If so, yes there are a slew of landscapers in there, more so now than ever before. Hitchcock chair, just recently laid off also. Every other vehicle on the road seems to have lawn equipment in the back on a trailer or back of a pickup bed..
Old 04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

To Answer your question, this is my first year in business and it has been very slow, only a couple calls... so far I have only secured 1 weekly mowing account. I wanted to start off slow but not this slow, lol
Old 04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, BUB its nice to know its not just me !! lol whats your biz. name? if you ever need a hand let me know... i was just in torr. i had to sign court papers for my lawyer, another non payer going to court..woooooohoooooo the gmc place closed also.. my old place of work about 6/7 years ago..
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

My dba name is RMC lawn service. So far I have only passed out flyers. I haven't advertised in the Foothills yet. I feel as though I'd be wasting money with all the other lawn services to compete with in the foothills. It's a good publication though, It's mailed here every week. I'm thinking about putting an ad in May...will see how the flyers do first.
Thanks for the offer of help. If I ever get off the ground maybe I'll take you up on that lol......Do you do any work out towards Simsbury/Avon? My cousins husband started three years ago and he is swamped with work in that area..... Anyway, best of luck to both of us....
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

factories closing

are you sure, i just saw on the news where our president was saying how strong the economy was???????????????????????????
we are close to detroit,and tied ito the auto industry as well things are going to get very bad , befor they get better.... hope it goes well for you.....
6 full time
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you limit yourself to only doing lawn care then what your saying is probably true but why do you put yourself out of so many things,or maybe i should ask do you guys do patios,walls,landscape design,ponds etc. we do it all because a well rounded educated and constantly growing and evolving business is the only business that is going to thrive. I am booked up through July and i am working with many more customers with estimates as well-expand your mind and your business and stop holding yourselves back,or dont I can handle the overflow.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rich, i agree , but im not going to hire some one to do walls, with no work..plus all the equipment needed..like i said i agee totally with what your saying, my goal is to build up the mowing and then once i have a helper ,start doing the construction part of the buis..My problem is, the phone is not ringing at all !!!! one call since march!!!! i talked to others that advertise in the local papers and they told me the same thing... i dont get it... 10k people that read the foothills trader and no calls?? have you received any calls from your ad??
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you got some initiative and are willing to put up with some bs, here's an interesting story ...

About a week ago some Lco called and left a message asking if I had any customers I wanted to sell to him... I deleted the message immediately and was pretty annoyed at the whole thing but later ran into a couple of yards that I can not do: One has a 3.5 foot gate and my smallest mower is 4 feet wide, the other is in an area I do not service - both of them were made up of average turf (weeds and stuff) but even to me, a customer is a customer. Well I referred them to the guy's number, if he's as short on work as he sounded desperate on the phone, he will accept that stuff and do it at a decent price. If he's full of himself, then his idea backfired because he will get some bottom of the barrel stuff, so to speak (not customer wise, just stuff I can't do, meaning I won't or can't service but also it's whatever comes along, I'm not nitpicking out nothing and obviously it's not anything I want - but no, I wouldn't send something that I wouldn't take because of a bad feeling or whatever, this is not about revenge it's just may not be the best accounts on earth because those I take lol).

But it's an idea, call around to all the Lco's in your area... I wouldn't go so far as to offer buying an account (that was the only part really ticked me that someone would think I'd sell a customer of mine) but you could always ask if they have any work they don't want or can't handle or don't service, to send it to you and thank you.

Bit of a long shot and you might get some pita stuff sent your way, but in your first year it might just be what gets you through.

Last edited by topsites; 04-22-2006 at 12:19 AM.