Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Classen Split Drive(s) vs Turfco Turnaer

Can anyone give some pros and cons to either of these units? I am trying to decide on which aerator to purchase and these seem to be the best bet.

Thanks,
BD
Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want the best? Get a Pluggr 800 hydro, that is the best aerator on the market right now, believe me.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a classen split drive and love it, not having to lift and turn is a back saver. I can do around 20 small yards a day and am not exhausted at the end of the day. Bad side is they are HEAVY! which is never a real issue for me but If you plan on loading into your truck it might be a bit much.

I would like to try the plugr though, I hear good things
Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah that classen is listed at 370 lbs dry! I was hoping to pick it up (if I get it) in the pickup but I might be bringing the trailer with me.

That plugr hydro looks great but is a lot of money. I am looking at used models and haven't come across one in my price range.

- BD
Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Classen split drive is very top heavy and bulky. It has a dual drive where you release one drive and the other keeps moving to pull the unit through a corner or turn. Turning is slow and the turn circle is about 4 foot.
The Turfco Turnaer is a true driving machine. They use a differntial in the main drive shaft and You use disc brakes to slow down one side or the other to turn. the disc brake slows down one side and the other side speeds up just like a car in a turn. The unit will turn around a basket ball. It has a very low profile and is very stable on hills. Plus there is a sulky so you can ride behind it on larger lawns. The TurnAer will go up to 5/6 mph when you ride behind it. It will do over an acre an hour when you ride and you can slow it down to do small lawns. Call Turfco at 800-679-8201 and have them send you a video.