Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2006, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why are wells cargo so much $$$?

i have a "good" local dealer very close to me.. .yet any prices ive gotten seem sky high.

Ive compared haulmark, royal cargo which isnt local to me in NJ, but can get them online etc, and wells cargo.

A haulmark 24' trailer with 10k axles is around 7k or less.

The royal cargo/MTI are somewhat easy to find online, but i need to drive to go far and pick one up, they have 20ft ones and a 5ft V nose with DUAL ramp doors front/back for 7k

A wells cargo "race" el-cheapo 24" o/c floor trailer is $7500, the LS series for landscapers in 24' are $9200, a 24' i spec'd out came to $9,300 with two LESS options then their landscapers package trailer!

Then a V nose 24ft starts at $8700 PLUS going to 5200 axles from 3500lb axles for $500 and add $860 for the front ramp door, PLUS any little options like painted floor, drivers side escape door, ill use for fueling stuff inside, 3M reflective tape on the sides and back, diamond plate ATP front stonegaurd is another $225... WTF? Are people really dumping 10k on 20-24' lawn trailers?

The motortrac royal cargo seemed VERY low quality, rough edges, exposed metal, 24 o/c floors which are rare and CANT use them for ztr mowers that weigh 1000lbs +, lower grade wheels and tires, NO cap to the roof, its a FLAT roof. sucks, i was THIS close to putting the deposit on a 24' one this morning until i found out about the floor centers, i was willing to kick the rest of the minor things like the build quality.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 7 by 16' wells cargo. I also have the same problem as you. $9700 was what it was going to cost me for a 8 by 20'. So by the time I bought another truck to tow another trailer. I decided to get a vanscaper enclosed truck body put on a GMC/isuzi w4500 cab over. $37,000.

I still would recomment spending the extra $$$$$$$$$ now. Its going to save your more later, plus a higher resell price.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 04-22-2006, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check into Pace, around here a 20' with landscapers options are about $6,500

The landscapers package is called Summit

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got a haulmark fully loaded for 6400 +tax. 18X8 Grizzly. 5k axles, extended tounge, xtra height, 2 vents, 16in oc floor, extra flap on the ramp, spare tire in the floor, treated plywood floor, plywood walls, and some other stuff.

Fit and finsh aint' all that nice.

I couldn't touch a wells this loaded for under 9500.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

they are so much $$$ because they are grossly overrated
Old 04-22-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPSJay
they are so much $$$ because they are grossly overrated
Thats just what I was thinking!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 1974 Wells cargo, no longer pretty but still together. I don't think this new one will be on the road in 15 years let alone 30 something.

I just bought a new Interstate it looked good when I bought it but almost a year later it has rivets or what ever holds the skin on coming off, one cable on the ramp door came off after about 4-6 months. You look at the thing and it dents, even though the skin is supposed to be thicker than industry standards. I should have broke out my micrometer and measured myself. The flap on the end of the ramp warped and never lays flat, the floors felt firm when new but are beginning to sag in some spots. The ball hitch doesn't release easily and is a pain to unhook. The worst thing is the skin doesn't seem to have a clear coat or what ever and it gets dirty fast and is a beeotch to clean.

I will spend the extra $$ next time, I recommend you do this time. I think the Haulmarks are OK but I would stay away from the Pace.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you really get what you pay for in trailers. I've owned a Haulmark and just picked up an 8.5x20 Featherlite. The Haulmark was a 7x16 Kodiak LS and ran me $4400 new when I bought it 4 years ago. Total piece of garbage. Started falling apart from day one.

The Featherlite I just picked up is a 8.5x20 Model 4926. It's basically a 20 foot car hauler. It's entirely aluminum, complete with an aluminum floor and will never rust. It's also light years better built than my Haulmark was. It ran me $12,800 out the door. I realize that this is at the high end for a landscape trailer, but it will last forever.

With the price of steel and aluminum shooting through the roof thanks to Chinese demand, the prices everyone is quoting don't surprise me. Used to be you could get a decent trailer for under 5k. If you're after a steel trailer I would go for a Wells Cargo or a Continental Cargo. If aluminum is what you're after, Featherlite is hands down the way to go. The resale on Featherlites is also phenomenal as long as you take care of it.

http://www.oakhurstgrounds.com/DSC02309.jpg