Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Scag48 ain't the only one getting new cat iron this week!!

Thats right. My cat salesman came out to the jobsite this morning and i signed the papers on a new 246b cab, heat and ac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get it monday or tuesday!

Turned out when the cat guy gave me a price last week he included sales tax when all the other salesman from other brands did not. So it ended up being 2k less than i expected! Everyone says cat is over priced, but i found that to be untrue. It was less money than the case, and NH. The salesman told me to hold off on the counter weights. Said i might not even need them. My neighbors have the same skid and they filled the tires with calcium and got great results.

Can't wait till next week! Got go buy a equipment trailer in the morning and a good grease gun!

I think the cat guy was shocked when he saw my bday on the credit app. Not to many 19 years old buy skid steers!

Matt
Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well done Matt,...enjoy...get the pics too.

Lady: You Sir are Drunk!
Winston Churchill: Yes Ma'am but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be Sober.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of humour....but it sure is fun!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will get pics! Hopefully my sign guy can it get it lettered up with my logo soon!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

mrusk nice new wheels. I have run that machine and it was an awesome ride. Good luck and congratulations.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nicely done! I have a hard time believing the "Cat is overpriced" story. Our 312CL came in right around what I've been told a Deere 120CLC can be had for, plus I get 3X the service. The 312 won't be in until next week, so you might get your new piece before we get ours. Our sales guy accidentally ordered the machine with the wrong pads, 28" instead of 24" so they're working on swapping tracks with another machine this week. Got a loaner, I start on 100 acres of orchard removal tomorrow, ink is dried, we're going to work. Good luck with the 248!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have left the 28" pads on the machine you will probably want to get into doing the property development where you don't want the machine sinking and tearing up the ground. The 158 Komatsu I ran has 28" pads it crawled over soft ground where the JCB 4x4 backhoe sunk out of sight.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat
The 158 Komatsu I ran has 28" pads it crawled over soft ground where the JCB 4x4 backhoe sunk out of sight.

To further have fun with totally apples to oranges comparisons, my airplane flew great while my truck just fell from the sky. Obviously everyone should get airplanes.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I'am just saying the 28" pads on the Komatsu which is a 15.5 ton machine walked over a soft muddy filled in area like a person wearing snow shoes. The JCB rubber tired hoe weighs 9 ton soon as the tires hit the surface it was almost instantly to the axles. Even walking over the filled area you would sink to your ankles.

The wide pads are nicer for general use work the only time you run a narrower pad is if your working in forestry applications but they are using heavy grouser bar pads. When Scag is going to have the 312 on slopes steep enough where you need the seat belt to hold him in the seat the wider pads have more bite. He should beable to max out the grade capability on the machine to the point where the machine just wants to start sliding.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Water
To further have fun with totally apples to oranges comparisons, my airplane flew great while my truck just fell from the sky. Obviously everyone should get airplanes.
Was that sarcasm? I think that was sarcasm. Yep...it was sarcasm.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

probably has to do with width more than anything, you don't want to have to get involved in permits for over width loads and all of the BS we deal with......anyway way to go with the 248..were looking at a 242 right now