Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gerry,

I have not responded to that post because it has nothing to do with this discussion. You and Tad have wrongly assumed I am in the "camp" of Linda-Chalker Scott, I am NOT. In fact the only thing I know about her is what she wrote in her review of the literature. It is quite obvious the feud between Linda-Chalker Scott and Elaine Ingham goes FAR deeper than a simple review.

The fact of the matter is, you are simply refusing to see what is right in front of you, and continually attempt to make my statements something they are not. How many times do I have to state my position on compost tea before you will actually read what I am writing?

With respect to the studies, they are what they are, and your dismissal of them is wrong. You invalidate a study because they didn't mix a brew according to Tad's or Soilfoodweb specifications? Dare I ask how you think we came to the level of understanding we enjoy at this time with regard to mixing a compost tea? Furthermore, both you and Tad have chosen to completely ignore the other 3 types of teas listed on the SoilFoodWeb site, why is this?

Lastly, to imply that Dr. Ingham is the ONLY authority in this field of study is simply wrong. Yes, she is a leading authority, but her work, just like every other scientist out there, is derived in part, from past studies of other scientists.

In science, experiments are done, data is collected, findings are published. As each study is done, our knowledge and understanding of the subject being studied increases. New studies are then created based on the knowledge we gained from previous studies in order to continue the learning process.

Modern science is a collective effort, not the effort of one. The findings of a single researcher have little merit in the scientific community until those findings can be reproduced and corroborated by other scientists. This is how the scientific process works. The sooner you and Tad understand this, the better off we all will be.

I strongly suggest you stop wasting your time here and go post your statements regarding the scientific process and your scientific knowledge in a forum that is primarily populated by scientists in the field and see how far you get. Perhaps that yahoo list where Dr. Ingham posted might qualify.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More Misdirection and Slight Of Hand!

Wrong again. That Dr. Ingham post has EVERYTHING to do with the discussion. It just must threaten your livelihood. It certainly puts your credibility at risk, but then again, so do most of your posts. You are an ankle biter!

It's a waste of time to respond to your posts. I have no interest to hear any more of your responses since it's clear you don't know what you are talking about. Your opinions are NOT facts, no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. I'm not interesting in your limited view of the world. Seems like you need to start these arguments to draw attention to yourself. Just like you started this argument, although I'm sure you'll try to turn that around as well. The good thing is, there is professional help available. I urge you to seek it out.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Miller View Post
Wrong again. That Dr. Ingham post has EVERYTHING to do with the discussion. It just must threaten your livelihood. It certainly puts your credibility at risk, but then again, so do most of your posts.
Please provide me and everyone else with direct quotes to statements I have made and clearly show the relationship to statements Dr. Ingham made in her post. I also would like to know how it threatens my livelihood considering I consult on matters related to sustainable landscape management, which is one of her primary goals.

http://sustainablestudies.org/index.shtml

I have clearly and logically presented my position and provided links to back up my statements. On the other hand, you have yet to respond to a single item where I have shown the information you provided was simply wrong, nor have you provided credible documentation to support your statements when they have been questioned. Instead of intelligent discussion of the topic, I was met with unfounded accusations and personal attacks on my character.

This whole thread started to degrade when you came after me in this post.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=29

From that point on, it went south. Furthermore, I am not the only person you have personally attacked on this forum for disagreeing with something you wrote or for expressing a dissenting opinion.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=40

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...72&postcount=4

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=22

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=13

Put the blame where it belongs Gerry.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to be the bigger person here and step away from this silly discussion now. My only hope is that people who visit this forum verify the information Gerry provides that is not cut and paste from SoilFoodWeb.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting discussion. Plan to look into the listings deeper as time goes on. The single most important job of any landscaper or landscape designer is to minimize the need for water to sustain their creation. Kiril has lead me into adding soil moisture sensors as a part of my irrigation service work. I keep a file on my desk titled stuff from Kiril. He is purely scientific in his approach and I never worry that he is pushing anybodies agenda except that of water conservation.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! Bigger Person???? Don't Make Me Laugh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I'm going to be the bigger person here and step away from this silly discussion now. My only hope is that people who visit this forum verify the information Gerry provides that is not cut and paste from SoilFoodWeb.
What a shameful back-tracking and parsing of words. The exaggerations and outright falsehoods made by Kiril is a classic deflection of personal responsibility.

In the numerous examples of false and misleading assertions documented by Kiril's posts, who refuses to personally accept responsibility for his exaggerations and falsehoods, tries to justify the exaggerations and falsehoods by twisting and taking out of context my statements. The old slight of hand and misdirection, again. Shame on you for your decision to deliberately distort what I have posted and for your ongoing decision to parse words and deflect responsibility for your exaggerations and lies.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The argument had to end sometime Gerry. You guys were just going in circles.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Soil Fungi Plants' Natural Friend

Mycorrhizal fungi—naturally occurring, beneficial soil organisms—have been helping farmers for thousands of years by improving water and nutrient use efficiency and suppressing diseases in the plants they colonize. Applying certain chemicals to the soil during the last half century-while increasing crop yields and fighting diseases-has likely inhibited these important fungi.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archiv.../fungi0504.htm
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"With respect to the studies, they are what they are, and your dismissal of them is wrong. You invalidate a study because they didn't mix a brew according to Tad's or Soilfoodweb specifications? Dare I ask how you think we came to the level of understanding we enjoy at this time with regard to mixing a compost tea? Furthermore, both you and Tad have chosen to completely ignore the other 3 types of teas listed on the SoilFoodWeb site, why is this?"

Sorry, I've been really busy and haven't had time to respond. First off, I don't think you're in Dr. Chalker-Scott's camp and wasn't trying to imply that by my emails. I just wanted to make you aware as to the quality of the studies that she reviewed. When I went back over the list of studies you posted, I gave clear reasons why these couldn't be considered good compost teas. Yes, I do invalidate a study if I feel that the methodology they used was flawed. How do I know it was flawed? Because I've made many batches of both good and bad compost teas over the years. Now I can look at them under a microscope and see for myself if the organisms are present. If the tea was poorly made, the organisms won't be present, and there will be no benefit dervied from application. I don't need a study to tell me that. As for ignoring the other 3 types of teas on the SFI website, I assume you're referring to things such as plant tea, manure tea, non-aerated compost tea, and such.... The reason I discount these types of teas is because they are inconsistent in providing a high diversity of beneficial organisms, and in many cases can actually damage your plants. There's information directly on that website that states the problems with brewing these types of teas. We're at the point scientifically where we've confirmed (in my opinion, I realize there's data on both sides which you've listed previously) that actively aerated compost teas are the BEST way to provide a diversity of beneficial microorganisms.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like every thread involving Gerry become heated and childlike. Stop posting if your that bad at communicating with other people.