Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2001, 01:16 AM
Banned

spraying for ticks

hi. i think that this is my first time posting in the pesticide forum, so please bare with me here. i have a customer who wants me to spray for ticks in his back yard. he wants to go organic though and only treat one time. they wanted me to use some organic pyrethrin? the guys over at shemin's told me that it only gives kill for 8 hours though and then goes away. this guy has a lot of woods there, big shrubs and whatever. now the guys at shemins also told me about the capsule stuff that lasts a lot longer. i think 2 weeks? i am not sure what to do about this situation.
where i live and work you need to do the 48 hr thing.
also i have another customer who is interested in controlling ticks.
Old 05-13-2001, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Pyrethrin won't last long. Nothing on the organic side will give satisfactory control. Is he looking for you to retreat at no charge if the problem persists? If so, I wouldn't take the job. Also explain that with the woods in the backyard, the problem will probably continue especially if there are wild animals in the area. I use Lindane to treat for ticks. It works better than anything else I've tried and lasts longer. I tell the customer if they have pets to get them on a topical treatment for ticks or Revolution orally. Good Luck
Old 05-15-2001, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What you probably want is a microencapsulated pyrethroid, synthetic version of pyrethrum. I would recommend using a Lambda-cyhalothrin product like Scimitar or karate. The best method of treating a area for ticks or mosquitos would be HVLP.

Good Luck,
Jim L