Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no, i don't need any cleanup, but, can u just....

ok, am i wrong? tell me, am i? there are times, when we do a fall cleanup for our grass customers, and the following spring, there isn't a scrap on the lawn or in the beds. it's just the way they lucked out with the winter winds. so, i don't want to drive over, to look, then drive away. so, i call and say, "will you need any cleanup? maybe a minor one? " she says, "no, not at all, u guys did a great job in november, my place is spotless. just schedule the mowing when u r ready." so, i do. we started mowing last week, and wouldn't u know it, there are leaves along the fenceline, and in the beds. not alot, but maybe 10-15 min worth of blowing and sucking up. she claimed she needed no cleanup, so, the leaves stayed where they were. i get the phone call, "ummm, bob....your guys didn't pick up the leaves." i said, "you didn't order a cleanup." she says, "well, yea, i didn't need a cleanup, just those few leaves." i say, "well, i really can't do unauthorized work. i mean, if i'm gonna bill you for something, it needs to be authorized." she says, "bill me? it's only a little bit of leaves." i say, "sure, but it would only cost, a little bit." she was unhappy that i would charge her for 10-15 min worth of work. now, mind you, the mowing only takes 10-15 min. i should give her the extra service, free? this is 3 calls, in 3 days, 2 inquiries about our billing, and then this one.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

You're on a roll, i'm sure by wednesday afternoon you'll be up to 6 calls.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have skipped her all together, till she either cleaned the leaves up herself or prepaid me to do it.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since she declined a cleanup I think you did the right thing. You covered you bases by asking her in advance and by explaining that it would only cost a little she should have no more questions.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsen1
Since she declined a cleanup I think you did the right thing. You covered you bases by asking her in advance and by explaining that it would only cost a little she should have no more questions.
I agree. She knew about the stuff and figured you'd pick it up for free. It's good you stood up to her.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you handled that one well Bobby...

And no I wouldn't be there double time for single pay.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 PM

Tell her for awhile there she couldn't even get a tomato on her hamburger at Wendy's without asking for it lol.
I would not have called her to see if she needed a cleanup. I would have went over there and looked for myself. Never trust the customer to be honest about this. You don't call her and ask her if the grass needs cutting--do you? Leaves always blow to the beds and fence lines when left on the ground too long. It takes a close inspection to see how much work is involved.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why didn't you just do the cleanup and bill for it. IM sure you have it in your hundred page contract somewhere. LOL
Greensboro NC
Old 04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Tell her for awhile there she couldn't even get a tomato on her hamburger at Wendy's without asking for it lol.

LMAO

Bobby,

I would have done the same thing. Unless she pays ,those leaves would be there all season.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass-scapes
why didn't you just do the cleanup and bill for it. IM sure you have it in your hundred page contract somewhere. LOL
actually, it is. HOWEVER, she declined when asked, and the leaves were not in my mowing path, so, they weren't picked up