Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-22-2006, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Picked up "new" Mini Z, turned right around to take it back! (long)

Well, I just bought a "new" (had seven hours on it for some reason) Mini Z 52" with a 19hp Kawasaki this morning. We had it all up on the trailer and I eventually took off from the dealership after noting the various rust spots and decals that where peeling off this "brand new" mower (looked like it had weathered a hurricane). I should have known better right then, but I was far too anxious to get home and try the puppy out on my 5+/- acre yard to leave it at the dealership because of the paint chips/peeling stickers/high run time for a "new" mower so I took it home. I got this little beast home safely and right before I decided to wrestle it off the trailer(they cheated and used a forklift) I decided to check the engine oil for the heck of it(what could it hurt?). What I saw horrified me. It was about an inch over the full oil line, was incredible runny and cloudy, and smelled of, you guessed it: gasoline. So I call the dealer back and tell them, they say to bring it in. I am not happy to begin with because my house was struck with lightning this morning so we are busy dealing with that on top of the fact that I just bought a mower with an engine with a crankcase full of gasoline/who knows what else. I start on my way back and a tire on the trailer blows out(boy was that fun to fix) I eventually get back to the store and he explains that this was normal. ??? How on earth can it be normal to have gasoline in the crankcase oil unless there are some major carb/piston ring seating issues? Is this common on these engines? I have a Kawasaki four wheeler and I beat the crap out of it and that motor still runs like a champ far longer than I would have ever expected it to. So I set my mind that I needed a Kawasaki motor and I got it. I just hope this was a fluke as I still have some faith in these motors for a while longer. Anyways I explain to the guy that I just paid 6 grand for a new mower and by god I wanted a new mower with everything intact and fresh from the factory. He was really cool with it and he said he would go order me a brand new one immediately, put a hitch and flex forks on it and deliver it to my house. Well, I am happy for now, but we will see what comes of this next week when my new baby is supposed to come in. Is this a common problem? Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That certainly is not normal.
E-mail me your information along with your dealers information and I will make sure this is taken care of fast.

Pj
Old 06-23-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanieluke
I eventually took off from the dealership after noting the various rust spots and decals that where peeling off this "brand new" mower (looked like it had weathered a hurricane). I should have known better right then, but I was far too anxious to get home and try the puppy out on my 5+/- acre yard to leave it at the dealership because of the paint chips/peeling stickers/high run time for a "new" mower so I took it home.
Hay man sorry to hear about your home! How much damage? (IE:Minor or MAJOR)

Although I can't explain the gas smell in the oil I have noticed a "local dealer" that leaves his floor models outside when the business is open... "come rain or shine" they sit up by the road. The unit may have been technically "new" but MAY have been parked outside during inclement weather... possible too long??

I have the MFT and have been VERY happy with the fit & finish of the unit and I think a few hours on the unit will ease your mind. I can't comment on the Kawi, as mine has a Honda 16hp twin.

Again, sorry about your house getting hit, that REALLY sucks to hear. It could happen to any of us, any day!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, he just dropped the brand new one off about 4 hours ago. All is well once again. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well, he just dropped the brand new one off about 4 hours ago. All is well once again. Thanks for the help!
Good.
Now that you have had the chance to use it this weekend, how much do you love your new mower?

Pj
Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh the house will be fine. The insurance adjuster will be out soon to take care of everything. Thanks for the concern! As far as the mower goes. It is amazing!!! It mows much better than I ever could have expected! What comes out of the back of that machine after I mow is amazing. Our yard is so bumpy(old farm land) and to see that the cut grass is perfectly level is simply amazing! The motor starts so easy and is incredibly quite(the sound of the blades was louder than the motor)and best of all it does not have a cup of gasoline in the oil. I am very happy I went with the Kawasaki motor. I think it will be very good to me in the future. Took me four hours to mow my 5 acre yard and I could never go full speed because of the bumps. My flex-forks are in today and I will pick them up and put them on soon. Over all I am very glad I went with hustler instead of the cub-cadet i was looking at. I also love how compact my new mower is as it does not take up my entire garage like my neighbors mower. Also I really appreciate the incredibly prompt service I received. Took them 2 days to pick up my dud and drop off a brand new one. That is great! I will recommend these mowers to all of my friends. Thanks again. Sorry about the length but I had a lot to say about my positive experiences.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for the follow up.
Wait to you mow next time with your Flex Forks, you will notice a difference immediately.

Pj
Old 06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Oh the house will be fine. The insurance adjuster will be out soon to take care of everything. Thanks for the concern! As far as the mower goes. It is amazing!!! It mows much better than I ever could have expected! What comes out of the back of that machine after I mow is amazing. Our yard is so bumpy(old farm land) and to see that the cut grass is perfectly level is simply amazing! The motor starts so easy and is incredibly quite(the sound of the blades was louder than the motor)and best of all it does not have a cup of gasoline in the oil. I am very happy I went with the Kawasaki motor. I think it will be very good to me in the future. Took me four hours to mow my 5 acre yard and I could never go full speed because of the bumps. My flex-forks are in today and I will pick them up and put them on soon. Over all I am very glad I went with hustler instead of the cub-cadet i was looking at. I also love how compact my new mower is as it does not take up my entire garage like my neighbors mower. Also I really appreciate the incredibly prompt service I received. Took them 2 days to pick up my dud and drop off a brand new one. That is great! I will recommend these mowers to all of my friends. Thanks again. Sorry about the length but I had a lot to say about my positive experiences.
Four hours to mow five acres man that must be some more rough property. You will notice a big difference with the flex forks and try your air pressure at 8 lbs, let us know how much difference the flex forks make it seems like you have a good place to see how much better they make it ride and cut.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh my yard is rough like you would not believe. It is old farm land so it still has rutts from where the old corn rows where. It is really bad in the very front but close to the house it is smoother. There are some spots that dip in about 5 inches and I really have to slow down alot. So as soon as the grass gets longer I will mow it with my new flex forks(still have not had time to go pick them up yet) and my yard will put them to the ultimate test. I will tell how well they smooth out my god forsaken yard. Eventually when I have the time and money I will make the yard like is supposed to be: smooth. It is going to take a lot of effort to smooth out 5 acres though.