Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2006, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Football field estimate help please

Currently doing 100% residential with no experience in commercial estimating. Today a neighbor of one of my accounts approached me about bidding on two football / soccer fields for a soccer club for kids in my neighborhood. When doing residential estimating I use the $1.00 per minute guide.

? Does this $1.00 apply to commercial property or do you guys that do commercial estimate a little higher.
? If you already do work like this what are you charging to mow and trim. For the sake of argument lets say it is only the borders of the football field and not the surrounding areas since that would be difficult to describe. I haven't seen the property yet.
? Finally how much insurance would you recommend carrying? I don't believe they want fertilization or weed control with this bid.

Sounds like a sweetheart deal. Mine if I want it but want to make sure I am not giving away the bank or overcharging due to ignorance. Thanks in advance for any help you guys might offer.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know about going rate in your area. I do know that this may be a PITA account for you. That's fine if you're making enough to make it worth it.

Find out for sure what they expect. Different cutting heights for different fields? cutting twice a week instead of once? will likely require cutting on different days depending on when the games are. The grass will need cutting right before the games, and early enough to allow the striping crew to paint the lines, and not on a schedule that's convenient to you.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I don't know about going rate in your area. I do know that this may be a PITA account for you. That's fine if you're making enough to make it worth it.

Find out for sure what they expect. Different cutting heights for different fields? cutting twice a week instead of once? will likely require cutting on different days depending on when the games are. The grass will need cutting right before the games, and early enough to allow the striping crew to paint the lines, and not on a schedule that's convenient to you.
Thanks, I didn't even consider those things.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump, any other one care to throw their two cents in?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC Dave
Bump, any other one care to throw their two cents in?
I bid on the size of the property with some additions if there is special trimming involved.
1. My minimum to pull up - unload - mow - reload - is $35. I don't care if it is 1000 sq. ft. - This price goes up to 1 acre if open, or 25 minutes total mow and trim time.
2. Every acre after that is 25 - 30 depending on of there is trimming or not.
3. I have never seen trees in the middle of a football field.
4. I have never seen landscaping in the middle of a football field.

Therefore, my bid would be $35 for the first acre, and $25 for every acre after that. Let's see. 100 yds x 50 yds = 5000 sq. yds. which equals just over an acre (about 4840 sq. yds. per acre _ I am only going on memory here) - BUT there are the side lines and end zones - lets just figure 2 acres. - That is $60 per mow - I could do that area in 18 minutes.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex-Deck
I bid on the size of the property with some additions if there is special trimming involved.
1. My minimum to pull up - unload - mow - reload - is $35. I don't care if it is 1000 sq. ft. - This price goes up to 1 acre if open, or 25 minutes total mow and trim time.
2. Every acre after that is 25 - 30 depending on of there is trimming or not.
3. I have never seen trees in the middle of a football field.
4. I have never seen landscaping in the middle of a football field.

Therefore, my bid would be $35 for the first acre, and $25 for every acre after that. Let's see. 100 yds x 50 yds = 5000 sq. yds. which equals just over an acre (about 4840 sq. yds. per acre _ I am only going on memory here) - BUT there are the side lines and end zones - lets just figure 2 acres. - That is $60 per mow - I could do that area in 18 minutes.
no trees or landscaping in the middle of the field but will have to trim around the goal post and soccer net. Not a big deal at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC Dave
no trees or landscaping in the middle of the field but will have to trim around the goal post and soccer net. Not a big deal at all.
How much more do the side lines include, end zones etc. I always round up to the next acre.