Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Work pics

Alright guys, here are some pics from this last weekend. This is the rental machine until ours gets delivered. Just sit tight if I don't get the pics uploaded correctly, I'll be editing like mad.

They came out kinda big so for you guys with 56K it could take a little bit.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have 200 acres of those tiny tree's to clear, are they as sparely planted as it looks?

That would be a boring job
Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, turns out we got the bid for half that, it'll still take about 5-6 weeks. These trees in the pics are considered "big". I'll get some pics of the tiny ass trees we have to pull out with a 12 ton machine, they're no fun at all. They're spaced about 5 feet apart and they're so small that if you're not careful you'll snap them like toothpicks with the thumb, it's a bit aggrevating. If it wasn't for building a fire and piling the trees 15-20 feet up, we could do all the pulling with our 303. I think that's what my dad is going to do during the week, start pulling the small trees because it's faster with the 303 as the machine doesn't snap the little suckers as easy and then when I'm back on the weekends I'll pull the bigger stuff and start burning the smaller trees. I have to put in 40 hours working Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then drive to and from Chelan to Lynnwood which is about 160 miles. It's going to be a crazy month. My plan is to work until about 10 or 11 at night and start at 5 AM every morning and just keep punching through. I'm pretty sure I'll get halfway through the job thinking to myself "why in the hell did we take this?"!

Last edited by Scag48; 04-24-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48
Actually, turns out we got the bid for 90 acres, it'll still take about 5-6 weeks. These trees in the pics are considered "big". I'll get some pics of the tiny ass trees we have to pull out with a 12 ton machine, they're no fun at all. They're spaced about 5 feet apart and they're so small that if you're not careful you'll snap them like toothpicks with the thumb, it's a big aggrevating. If it wasn't for building a fire and piling the trees 15-20 feet up, we could do all the pulling with a 305.
You need to come to my side of the state if you want to see big tree's.

I landed a job clearing a bunch of hedges and junipers, I used a 6k machine to pull them with ease, Those junipers had a larger root system than the tree's you are pulling here.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Whoa what a cushy easy job

It does look like it will get hot there when the sun is out in full force you will be definatly sweating you bag off there.

What in the heck do you guys do when nature calls when you have house all around you ?

Around here there is lots of places to go we usually have a roll of T.P in the cab of the machine or in the P/U

Hopefully you get your own machine soon.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a hard job, just a long one. It does get hot out here, machine comes with A/C thankfully. When I'm burning, I close the doors and turn the A/C on, getting burned and having smoke fill the cab is no good. Been there, done that. The big job we're going to start on is out in the middle of nowhere so I can start really early and work really late into the night. Problem is, the property borders sagebrush and general range land that we're famous for in Eastern WA and one hot spark could set the countryside on fire. I'm so far away from civiliazation that if I had a fire, nobody would be able to get there in time before it gets out of hand. The property sits in a wind tunnel, all it would take is a little wind and that fire would be off to the races out of control so I'm really nervous about the fire danger. I think my dad has a buddy that has a water truck just sitting around and we might have him fill it up and let it sit on site incase we need it.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rat, Theres these things called sanikans, you guys might not have gotten them in B.C. yet...

Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's no problem most of the time, we're usually on new home sites where the builders usually bring in a Honeybucket.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Given the fire danger, is burning that much cheaper than running the trees through a tub grinder? It wouldn't take a big expensive grinder to reduce the trees to chips and you wouldn't have to worry about a fire getting away from you. Personally, I hate burning because there's always the risk of something getting away from you and even a small fire can be expensive.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is, a tub grinder in these parts is pretty unheard of and I think the cost would be astronomical. About the only thing I have going for me is the fact that it's been a wet spring and we're going to start on the outlining areas first. I think we'll be okay, I just need to be careful about things.