Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

how to charge customers???

I am going into the business with a friend of mine, who feels the best way to charge customers for wrokm other than the usual mowing, trimming, blowing, is to charge hourly per man hour plus the cost of supplies. What do you guys think? I feel more comfortable chraging specific amount based on what the job is. Especially since the amount of time it takes to do the job can vary I'd rather have a straightfoward estimate to give someone for doing something like pruning, small tree removal, lawn installation, aeration, etc. If someone were to tell me the were gonna charge me $xx.xx per hour I would want to know how many hours its gonna take. and if I knew how many hours it would take I would know the total so why not just give the mthe total price? Am I crazy for thinking this way????
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your right, your partner is wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

people are afraid of being charge by the hour they feel you might be taking advantage of them,you need to figure your time for the work and translate that into a job price unless you are doing something that specifically calls for an hourly rate.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Trust me, people will laugh at you if you want to charge them hourly. How do they know how long you take? Charge them a flat rate then you can work your butts off and get them done quickly and earn a good cheque.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will do better charging by the job and not by the hour.You can use an hourly rate to fiqure out how much to charge..but charge by the job and mark-up your materials.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

By the Job.

Had an old man that would always as me to do extra stuff after I mowed. He would ask how much to trim his bushes. 4 boxwood's about 3' x 3'. First time I said about 20 bucks an hour. He made a big deal of it, wanted to know exactly how much. Told him 10 bucks a bush. Done deal. 15 minutes later I was pulling down the street with extra 40 $$. What would of cost him about 10 bucks cost him 40 because of his wanting to know the exact price.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you get rained out.