Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing when its wet..

Ok, here is my question...after it rains either the night before or even in the morning do you usually wait till it dry or just mow threw the wetness...I mean I have mowed when its wet when I am behind, but I do not like to because I end up getting clumps and nasty looking cuts...what do you all prefer or like to do?....maybe I am not making any sense but I was just wondering what you all prefer...and I have another ?, in the morning when do you all like to start, because I know it still wet from dew and what not but i usually start around 9-10...anyways thanks for your replies!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain or shine...

We mow regardless of weather conditions. Here in the PacificNW especially during the spring growth, we got NO choice...in the immortal words of P Diddy "Mow or DIE"...Eh, OK so maybe he was talking about voting

We have weeks on end of rain at times and with a packed schedule the is no room for delay due to inclement weather conditions. Most of our clientele are full-service estates so we can take extra time mowing and simply have a few 'landscape-lite' days if need be.

James
Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

If it rains, I hold up. I wait till the grass is manageable. I'd rather a job is delayed and we have to work on a weekend rather than having to do a job twice.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on how much rain we get. If it is just damp, we can cut and not rut we will work. We usually get to our commercial jobs between 6:15-6:30 and start residential 7:00 at the earliest. Usually we try to do a commercial property in the morning and then start our residentials.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I mow in Hurricanes downpours what ever.

I don't give a $!*% and yes all my yards have ruts in them.

Come to think of it so does every yard down here in Florida.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i was puddle jumpin today. 2 days of mowing in the rain.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We start at 7:00am. Any later and we can't finish our route. We mow with the grass wet. Only way to keep up and don't have a problem with clumps. If it does clump some we take a blower to it.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

going out of town thur and i am trying to get everyone done by wed mid day...big threat of storms today (tue)...started cutting two side by sides in the rain...had to get them done...aside from a few small clumps, the looked awesome...guess it has to do with the wet grass...i think cut wet grass looks reall good...major time eater for me is the clumps that get on the concrete from the z-tires...

as far as blowing the clumps, doesn't work if the clumps are of any size...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We cut wet grass all the time. Really makes no diffference to us. The key is having good mowers that are set up correctly that can handle wet grass.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegepro
Ok, here is my question...after it rains either the night before or even in the morning do you usually wait till it dry or just mow threw the wetness...I mean I have mowed when its wet when I am behind, but I do not like to because I end up getting clumps and nasty looking cuts...what do you all prefer or like to do?....maybe I am not making any sense but I was just wondering what you all prefer...and I have another ?, in the morning when do you all like to start, because I know it still wet from dew and what not but i usually start around 9-10...anyways thanks for your replies!

Ive been mowing wet grass for 3 days now. Its finally starting to dry up. I would rather mow it wet and take the time to go slow or double cut and blow the clumps apart then get backed up and have to mow 30 -40 houses in one day or on the weekend.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay