Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ooooh the FS-100Rx is niiiiice!!!

Well my 4-year old Echo srm-260s, the baddest weed-eater that never quit kept getting harder and harder to start this year. Actually it would start ok but I'd have to let it sit on idle for several minutes before it was warm enough to throttle on up, then it took couple more minutes before the rpm's finally settled, too. And to touch the throttle before it was warm enough, it cut off everytime.

Today it dawned on me this weedeater was costing me a yard / day in minutes wasted every yard waiting for this thing... I suppose while it idled up to temp I could've gone around spraying for weeds but I'm just not a mickey mouse type of guy, plus the waste of fuel...

I called my dealer from one yard I was on, asked him to set me up a Stihl FS-100Rx 4-cycler, an hour later I got there and picked it up.

Man that things is b-b-b-b-bad! TONS of power, awesome sound (almost like a motorcycle), and a light 10.3 pounds... I took off the Stihl handle and put on the Echo D-handle, removed the guard and the shoulder strap and went on to cut some grass.

It is just what I needed, I am now looking forward to going to work!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the new trimmer.
None other has a better balanced feel than the RX.

On a side note, your Echo has done the 'typical'.
Took longer than normal though.
Anyways, what I mean is that it has leaned out.
Carefully adjust the carb screws and put it away for backup.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
Congrats on the new trimmer.
None other has a better balanced feel than the RX.

On a side note, your Echo has done the 'typical'.
Took longer than normal though.
Anyways, what I mean is that it has leaned out.
Carefully adjust the carb screws and put it away for backup.
I kinda figured on that, anytime a 2-cycler goes, the stihl's lose compression, I guess the echo's lean out? I mean, if I can fix it, will it still run and run and run, or is it just a temporary fix that delays the inevitable? Because I'm surprised it lasted over 3 years solid, it was my only, full-time trimmer. But yeah if I can fix it I'm all about that, for as long as it worked for me, I've gotten sentimental about it.

If it just delays the inevitable, I'll still fix it then sell it for like 60 bucks with a partial SPOOL of string and a couple heads and stuff.
(maybe I should frame it, build an Lco museum lol).

As for the rx, yeah it does balance well but it's light for a 4-cycler, feels just like the 2-cyclers.
They asked if I wanted the fs-110, but it's almost 20 percent heavier, I was like nahhhh...

Last edited by topsites; 04-25-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, it's a worthy fix.

Here's the deal of it as I figure it. Echo sets their stuff leaner and leaner every year for the EPA. As the engines wear in the lean condition becomes an issue at startup.

You can evidence this a few ways... One, lean the head up on something where you can fire it and fiddle with the choke. Choke it as you throttle it up and it will rev to top end before actually being choked. Two, if you have a hot plug puller, pull the plug right after a good hot run. Three, consider the increased Echo compliants, galding, siezing, ect. Four, take my word for it. LOL.

Anyways, let me know when you are ready to do it and I'll give you the instructions then so they'll be fresh when you go to do it.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We love sthil 100 and 110 4-Mix trimmers.

Last edited by 6'7 330; 10-27-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same trimmer and Im not happy with the bump feed head at all, either that or Im winding it incorrectly.

The only head that ever made sense to me was the Tanaka Brain head.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got four 110's and love them.

I beat the hell outta it leave it in the rain a few times and even dropped it down a hill into a lake.

Never had a problem.

I cut tall over grown thick grass and vines with a long line that bogs down the engine.

Never had a problem.

I let my Mexicans borrow it for the weekend for whatever they do, get it back and its covered in chicken pooh.

Never had a problem.

I guess I must have luck with stihl products or they are just really well made cuz they have yet to fail me.