Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

new neighbors

we had some new people move into the house accross the street, it's a small,OVERPRICED house about $500,000 for a smal ranch house, so tomorrow when we go over to meet them, i will give them a buisness card and give them a brief statement of what i do. i know everybody says not to do neighbors (get your mind out of the gutters), but this year with new equipment i need all the biusness i can get. anyone else do this?

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I cut my neighbors yard (2 houses or about 7 years ago) for about 2 years. Torwards the end when my house was under contract for sale, he let me hang for over a month, then tried to give me a used gas fireplace instead of paying up.
To make things worse, he called me up drunk one evening, asked me to come over and power wash his house and deck, we discussed price, and I told him I would be over the following morning at 8:30 AM.
As I was outside setting up (already had my stuff off of the trailer and all) His wife came running outside to tell me they had changed thier minds and couldn't afford the $125.00 we had agreed on.
That was the last time I heard from or even saw my good ol' neighbor.

Not that this is a common thing, just thought I would share.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know. I hear these stories, but yet know SEVERAL lco's that do neighbors of their's with no problems. Myself? I do the people across the street. They just moved in 2 years ago. They have been completely happy. Before that, I did the people that USED to live in that house.....for about 20 years. I do the people that live next door to them - also across the street...also for for about the last 20 years. I do the people that live next door to them, down the subdivision street,...and the people who live acroos the subdivision street from them. I also do the people who live about 7 or 8 houses down from me the other way. Them, for about 10 years. Of course, when you go down into the subdivision, there are about a dozen other houses that I do...in a sense, all neighbors as well. Have I ever had any troubke or problem working with them? No. None at all.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will have my neighboors ask me to cut their lawns if they get busy and don't have the time but I don't yet have anything full time yet. It don't bother me that much because they don't always see it as proffesional service. Sometimes they try and rip me off or expect it done for free so you can be a "good neighboor". I've done that a twice but no more. I get the money up front or it don't get done. I don't mind being nice and I certainly don't overcharge them but some still try and rip me off. It just gets annoying! IMO
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I had my biz in florida. I did my house, 2 houses around the corner 2 across the street, and three down the stree on the same side, and the HOA Common/pool area which was caddy corner across the street from me.

10 sites including my own and did not have to move my truck once for any of them. Never had any billing issues either.