Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Wholesale nurseries make no guarentees except the plant is alive when its loaded. The minute it leave there property there is no warrenties. How can a place guarentee a tree or bush from wind damage or burn on the ride to a customers home? Its up to the professional to know what and how to transport them. If you give a guarentee you should be charging enough to cover the replacement. When over 50% die there a good reason for it and 95% of the time its lack of water.
thank u very much. my place will load it + cover it for you. when you drive away, adios
Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA
Why get it from a wholesaler then? Wouldnt the smart thing be to have some warrantied so you dont lose money out of your own pocket if something like this comes up?

FYI, the wholesalers around here warranty their trees, shrubs and flowers, some of them up to 1 year.
cus it's not a childish game. a wholesaler makes thier money from dealing with pros, not little grass boys trying to plant 3 trees a year, and screwing all 3 of them up. you get "wholesale" and it comes with a price. and what do u call "wholesale"? my price is- a better product, for 40-50% off retail.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
cus it's not a childish game. a wholesaler makes thier money from dealing with pros, not little grass boys trying to plant 3 trees a year, and screwing all 3 of them up. you get "wholesale" and it comes with a price

Exactly. It comes with the price of you taking the chance the plant will be bad or the customer will screw up and not water it and more money will come out of YOUR pocket.

I dont think Ill take that chance.

If the plants you bought were warrantied you wouldnt be worried about this. If you pay extra for those that is passed on to the customer.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay
Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA
If the plants you bought were warrantied you wouldnt be worried about this. If you pay extra for those that is passed on to the customer.

so you would eat the labor to remove and install the new plant because it died from neglect?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

whenever i do a landscape install or whatever for them and they dont have a sprinkler system, i make them sign a non-replacement irrigation wavier. has saved me from 2 $500 replacements so-far.

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMM
That's the reason we never plant until the automatic irrigation system gets turned on. So they don't have an auto system, or one that was turned on?

Just let 'em know zero replacement warranty was ever featured, expressed or implied, because you were not the one responsible for their watering schedule -
the job was solely priced on labor, materials, machinery-hours, and installation tools required.
I have learned you can't count on customers to water the stuff, they hired you to take care of the lawn because they either don't want to deal with it or they don't know enough about it or something along those lines... Regardless, ask them to water and you will lose, almost guaranteed.

So I will NOT do something requiring water unless there is extensive rain in the forecast or it's that time of year. There are times I can do certain things without the need for said forecast just because there is plenty of time in which anything could happen (at least 60 days left in the window) so then if it doesn't rain at all, ok, that's too bad but also very unusual.

Sprinkler systems ON or OFF, ok yeah that works but it's something you need to ask your customers - I've gotten to where mine enjoy informing me their system got turned on or off, mainly because I enjoy them telling me this because it leaves me less open for surprises.

Oh yeah, very few things of mine carry a guarantee, and I am sure there exists no guarantee if there is customer interaction in the process. However, I do guarantee things where if the customer has to do absolutely nothing and they DO nothing, and it doesn't work, well I might can see about doing something about this problem then.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

(frontier, cool avitar why are you flying the MD state flag, i used to go to school there, you retired in FL?)

So Mac and Frontier, you just tell them that they have to sign the watering form, or no start of the job?
Sounds like a good idea, thanks.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm quite shure you priced the job to include some % of replacement cost as most do. I always tack on 10% extra on the bid for such call backs on plant material. It helps pay me to go back for dead plants due to homeowner neglect. Meet them 1/2 way on the price of the new plants or dump them If it won't hurt future business in the neighborhood. As for grass seed it will germinate eventually unless they put down a pre-emergent agent. Tell them to water or wait for mother nature
Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

OK we deal with two commecial only nurseries, 1 we buy trees from and thats John Deere Landscapes, because they give a five year warranty. The other we buy everything else from and they give a 1 year from date of purchase.

Although I have to say that we replace more plants and trees due to overwatering. They like to drown them here because of the droughts we have had the past few summers.

I say replace the trees and shrubs, make them pay labor as it was their neglect that destroyed the plants. On the seeding make them pay for the entire thing again.

I find that when I am the source of education for my customers they call me more often, sometimes a pain, but it can be very good, as many times the right way to do something seems daunting to the homeowner and then they ask if we can come do it for them...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMM
(frontier, cool avitar why are you flying the MD state flag, i used to go to school there, you retired in FL?)

So Mac and Frontier, you just tell them that they have to sign the watering form, or no start of the job?
Sounds like a good idea, thanks.
I explain before they even sign a contract that I will be providing them with watering instructions for them to sign when I'm finished. They usually have a lot of questions regarding how and when to water so it helps them out. The part about the job being done to there satisfaction is just one more line on the page.
My contracts are written where it says I'm not responsible for water either to much or to little, I'm also not responsible for acts of nature.
If we get a down pour after a new lawn is installed thats out of my control and there's no guarantee.
I have driven by homes after we done an install and see that its dry and I'll knock on the door point it out to them and tell them they just voided the guarantee and take a pic. The few times I've done it the people are have excuses but they also know that I'm right and the picture will prove my point and I never here from them. They also realize at this point that no guarantee means they better water OR THERE out a lot of money.
If there's a problem thats MY fault I'll take care of it immediately at no additional cost
If there's a problem that NOT my fault it will cost the customer to correct the problem.