Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2001, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll check out Lesco, thanks!
Old 05-23-2001, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: we use CONFRONT, awesome on clover, we mix about a 1/2 once to a gallon, we usually mix it w/ Super trimec and in the spring i tank mix both w/ gallery. not only will you kill the weeds, you prevent new ones from sprouting. super trimec is usually mixed at about 1-1.5 onces to a gallon and i put 1 lb. of gallery to 180-200 gallons of water. little pricy but if you do an overall app in the spring you'll have to do very little all year,gallery lasts up to 8 months.
Old 05-24-2001, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

notes on last post- 1lb gallery is 120 bucks. very pricey per acre. super tri-mec in MAY? are you crazy? that is an ester product that will gas and drift in a second over 75-80 degrees. Most turf guys I know won't use the stuff over 70 degrees. VERY Dangerous. I use it in jan-april, but here the temps barely allow it in april, much less may. Dave g
Old 05-24-2001, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: greeenguy, as i said before i know its pricy but if you have to go back to the same property 3x's in a year how pricy is it?, also we have'nt had a day over 80 in a very long time, and lastly my spaying is done for the year before may anyway!, so while you guys in AR, try to figure out how to kill weeds in 90 degree heat, i've been done for months, oh, and no worries about the weeds, T
Old 05-24-2001, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Be CAREFUL mixing pesticides

While the above suggestion of mixing Confront and SuperTrimec, both at full rates, may work for one operator with no problem, you should not do this unless it has been tested in your exact location or approved on the label. One man nearby killed whole lawn by using Confront and another broadleaf together at full label rates. When we used Confront and 2+2 in combination, the 2+2 was used at 2/3 label rate, and the Confront was about 1/3 label rate (0.18 oz/gal).

Even if full label rate were not toxic or stressful (do you want to kill or stunt a lawn to find out?), use of full label rates in our old program would have been a waste of money and gross overuse of chemical.

Also, look at the whole spectrum of products available when planning your strategies. Cool Power from Ridgedale will do the same as Confront and SuperT mixed, and no chance of possible mixing errors.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Advise well taken and thanks, i always mix at the lowest possible rate, i've been mixing confront at .30-.50, depending on the season, and the super 1-1.5 and ounce, so far so good.
Old 06-15-2001, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

clover

I think the key is the type of sprayer you use. If
you use the basic spray gun with a 2-4gal/1000 rate
the results will be spotty. I actually get great
results with STRIKE 3.(does anyone else use this?)
A low volume spray at 1-2gal/1000 rate with a fan
type nozzle gets great coverage.near 100% results.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:24 AM
Banned

Clover grows in soils that lack N. They make their own and do not like to be placed under high N. I would fert it out and make sure your cultural methods are on target. Pesticides will work but with the summer here watch your fire with 2-4-D's as liquids turn to gas with warmer temps.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

kirby is right, ive used the weed b gone from home depot, it took about 10 days, but all clover is gone. i also use granular trimec, if used properly, works good for me
Old 07-22-2001, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to Lowe's and got some Spectracide "Weed Stop" and mixed 3 tablespoons per gallon and applied on clover infested Zoysia in 80 degree temps with a fan-tipped backpack sprayer.

Three days later that clover was HISTORY and the Zoysia looks as happy as ever.

This weed killer is a 2-4-D that has Mecoprop and Dicamba as its primary ingredients...and clover HATES this combo.

Too bad it didn't whack it broadleaf varieties as hard......plantain is very stubborn but a second application this fall should finish it off.

Pretty good for a 'homeowner' grade herbicide.