Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Osha??

While you're calling OSHA, don't forget to call Child Protective Services (usually part of the welfare system). That's likely to make wa-aaay more trouble for his parents than OSHA...... child endangerment, etc..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interrupting you and the homeowner-then mowing over your fliers- I honor you for your anger management at the scene, me- I'd probably run him over-accidentally Instead of maintaing the lawn when the kid "messes up" you'll probably be installing a new one for the guy. Good luck, doubt he'll last long especially the way he treats others and his equipment.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I would definitely tell pops about the fliers. That is inexcusable Show pops how much this stuff cost's along with the time it takes to have them printed and pass them out. I wouldn't't mention the job stealing stuff, pops will probably laugh at you about that. Depends on how he is, if he seems like a reasonable dude let him know, it is hard to say?
Don't let this slide, that is why people are the way they are, follow up and let them know this must be dealt with. Do it for humanity! Just be democratic about it, not a hot-head.

Make it happen bro-for all of us.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would mention the flyers and the the rude manner of him interrupting a meeting with the homeowner to his parents. That takes balls! I hear guys talking about not wanting to stir problems when a person calls for an estimate and the current LCO is there at the time they show for the estimate. This kid tops all of those post by just running up in the middle of an estimate and calling you out right there on the spot.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't be long when these people with "safe" jobs who will not think twice about hiring a kid or an illegal to mow their lawn will also be replaced at work by an illegal or legal immigrant. There is a tital wave of professionals all over the world who would flock to America and work for 1/2 what ours do.

It's funny why people get all upset when businesses say "hmmm 30k a year vs 110k a year for the same job, 30k you're hired, 110k you're fired" but consumers do it all the time to others. I guess when you only look out for yourself it's ok to screw everyone else but it's not ok for somebody to screw you.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

My question is, if this was during the daytime, shouldn't he be in school getting an education?

Jason
Old 05-02-2006, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few round up balloons per lawn ought to take care of the kid's customers, then you can get in on some renovation action
Reminds me of something that happened to me yesterday. I was driving down my street when from out behind a parked car comes this little 8-10 year old girl on a bike, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY TRUCK. I locked em up, and said "watch where you're going, you are gonna get hit someday!" The little girl said "F^ck you!" and rode off. I wanted to follow her home and have a talk with her parents, but guess what that would have got me? Probably in a fight with her dumb-ass dad.....
Seriously, the kid is obviously a brat, his dad is probably a dikkhead, like father like son, you know, so what is talking to the father going to accomplish? Yeah, it's pretty crappy for that kid to interrupt you and especially to mow up your fliers, I would be seriously pissed about that. Just call Children's Services or whatever child welfare organization there is in your state/county/city because that kid should not be on a Z. A 21" push mower is one thing, but a Z? Child endagerment, no doubt about it. That kid's parents should know better. I would make a call just to keep someone from getting hurt, be it the kid, or someone else.
Next thing you do is stop worrying about competing with a 10 year old. JMO, but I never think about how much anyone else is charging. I know I am higher than most LCOs, but hey, these are the services I offer, this is my price, they either want professional, or they want to pay the least amount they can. If another kid came up behind him and offered to cut it for $4, guess who would get the job? You don't want these kind of customers, do you? Good luck at any rate, I hope you make a call to the right people to get this little heathen off that Zturn before someone gets hurt.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Sit back and enjoy the show. Take some video footage. Do you call osha for every safety violation you see while your out and about? If your minding your own business you won't be worrying about someone elses.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncarepros2004
Sit back and enjoy the show. Take some video footage. Do you call osha for every safety violation you see while your out and about? If your minding your own business you won't be worrying about someone elses.

Did you even read his post or just felt like making a crazy statement????

kc
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

There are times in life when you should take the high road, this is one of them. Anything you do in this situation will make you look petty. How do think a TV station is going to spin this? Hardworking, business minded 10 year old versus a LCO. I really doubt that OSHA has any jurisdiction over elementary school kids making a few bucks in their spare time with dad's lawn mower. I would not be too concerned about a homeowner that chose a kid over a good LCO. Those are PITAS that your better off without. Put it behind you, we all run into these situations. Handle it like an adult and the when Skippy doesn't want to work in mid summer, or gets bored with mowing, you'll be able to step in, and do a pro job. Any other response makes you look like the bad guy in the public's eye.