Register free!

Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

fertilizing deadline

I picked up a couple yards last two weeks that need some nitogen bad, lots of yellow areas. My local turfgrass school recommends no nitrogen to be applied after march 15. Other than iron do you have any other suggestions. Thank you for your input
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My doctor recommends that I not eat after 7:00pm as well but if I haven't eaten all day by God, I'm gonna eat somethin'. But seriously, that recommendation dosn't make sense to me, If you are dealing with cool season grasses such as Bluegrass Fescue or Rye, then you want to put the lion's share of your fert out in the fall, and lesser amounts out spring and summer. If we are talking southern grasses like Bermuda Zoysia or ST Augustine you want to apply most of your nitrogen during the peak growth season May-Aug. I can't think of a situation where you want to give your years worth of N before April. And in any case if the turf is starved, feed it!
-Taj Mahal-
Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

motime. I had the same problem last summer and talked to a teacher at NC state. He said give fescue 1/8 to 1/4 n with something like sustane or milorganite + 0-0-50 sop every 8 weeks. I tried both side by side and could not tell what one worked best. The milorganite combo was alot cheaper. They both greened up real nice.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtime
I picked up a couple yards last two weeks that need some nitogen bad, lots of yellow areas. My local turfgrass school recommends no nitrogen to be applied after march 15. Other than iron do you have any other suggestions. Thank you for your input
get a soil sample .