Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Organic spot weeding?

Is there an organic way to spot weed in a sprayer and not harm the grass around the weed??

Thanks.
Ferris 52" WB
Ferris 32" WB
21" push mower
Old 04-27-2006, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this is the only organic selective weed killer i have found. it kills dollarweed, crabgrass, clover, chicweed and many others but i dont think you can spray it. it killes in a day! www.crabgrassalert.com
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Al
this is the only organic selective weed killer i have found. it kills dollarweed, crabgrass, clover, chicweed and many others but i dont think you can spray it. it killes in a day! www.crabgrassalert.com

You keep pushing that stuff, but if you read the FAQ it hasn't been tested on cool season grasses yet! Also, the weeds must be wet to apply and comes in 2lb bottles that cover 100-200 sq ft. It also states that it takes 3-5 days to kill. Not even viable for the commercial applicator.

pitbull. Check out the Green Guardian. They're a site sponsor and have selective edible and organic products.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only "organic" herbicides I have seen or used were non-selective acids. Ther eis a citric acid based product, high strength vinegar, or pelargonic acid. All function the same way... they burn the vegetation (and you eyes/skin if you isn't real careful!!)
Old 04-28-2006, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it isnt labeled for northern turfs nattylawn. have you even tried the stuff yet? im still waiting for you to post up all the other selective weed killers that are organic,,,,,so i can try them? you got any? thats the only 1 i have found,,,,,thats probably why i keep posting it up!

asulox used to take 6 weeks to kill, roundup takes 7-10 days to kill and your complaining about it taking 3-5 days? are you a professional or a home owner?

my experience has been that it kills in 1 day,,,,,dead!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll try Crabgrass Alert when you try the Green Guardian. Is that fair? If it isn't labeled for cool season grasses then it looks like a no go for me.

Also, I was referring to the weeds being wet, needing water to activate, and the fact that it comes in bottles that cover 100-200 sq ft as not being viable as a commercial product. Not the 3-5 days it takes to kill.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

natty most of the products i use need water to activate! im not sure what you are using? its statements like that by you that make me wonder if you are a professional or not?

i have already ordered the green guardian products,,,,,im all for spending some cash and finding what really works! green gaurdian concept is obvious, I have a feeling it will work and look forward to finding out if it is going to be cost affective to incorporate into the program! right now i sell agralawn crabgrass killer and make $35 per bottle per application from my customers they dont care how much it covers, i charge $55 to apply or kill 200 sq ft f weeds. it takes me about 15 minutes to apply a bottle, i use a backpack sprayer to apply the water OR i check the irrigation for coverage and after its wet i apply the weed killer,,,,,,,easy money for me and the customer is happy.

some customers i just sell them the bottle and let them apply it,,,,either way i make money and my customer finally has a solution in their hands when before they had none at all. they all gave up on CGM years ago.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First, the fact that you question if I'm a professional is funny. I do have a license, thank you. From the posts I've read, you're nothing more than a glorifed mower that treats a few of his customers lawns and pushes Crabgrass Alert. It's pretty much common sense to know that most products in this industry require water for activation. The product that doesn't? Weed Control.

Also, how many customers do you have? If you have enough time to go over the entire lawn with a backpack sprayer and a bottle of crabgrass alert that covers 100-200 sq ft, more power to you. If I do that on a customer that's 410,000 sq ft I would be there for days. That's where it's not economically viable.

You also bash CGM to no end as well. If it didn't work for you, fine, but it has worked for me. Like it has been said, proper cultural practices are needed.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

natty i have 70 people working for me in the lawn service and landscaping installation side of the green industry. spray side 5 employees and a 20 acre tree farm in central florida.

that crappy product agralawn,,,,heres who use it in florida that i am aware of,,,,trugreen chemlawn, florida pest control to name just a couple "small" companys. i started using it because my competition was kickin my butt tellin my customers that they could kill crabgrass and i couldnt,,,,,i tried it and it worked,,,,,believe it or not (i think you will like this) it was EASY to use.

i am in the business of making money and providing a service for my customers,,,,i dont care if i have to boil peanut butter and jelly and have 10 guys apply it,,,,if it works,,,,,my customers are paying and i earn a profit, im going to do it!

you sound like a typical spray guy,,,,its not easy wah wah wah! tell me why i should use it? whats in it (as if you would know chemistry)? its got a green label, why not use a pink one? its way over there i cant reach it! wah wah wah,,,,,,quit your crying and make a real company! I learned by watching the industry if you dont tap into these new organic products,,,,,the spray world is soon to be passing you by!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's funny how you respond to posts without actually reading or responding to any of the content.

I'm not the one crying, nor am I pushing a product that we don't know the ingredients of. There are a lot of organic product claims that turn out to be false. What strikes me funny is they don't list any of their ingredients. You claim you're cutting edge as well, but you only found about the product after TGCL and state pest control beat you to the punch. You said you'll do whatever it takes to make a profit and if that means shilling the same junk as TGCL so be it. Plenty of other companies make a profit selling unnecessary services. It doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.