Register free!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

natty it looks like this place has an msds sheet for that product as well

www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/ images/crabgrass-msds.pdf
Old 06-14-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this section is so dead i think i will post this link again for killing weeds with an organic product,,,,,just to get this place fired up again: www.crabgrassalert.com
Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want sprayable selective weed controls with organic fertilizer.
www.farmcropextracts.com
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im glad you posted that mark,,,,,,man i thought i could hear the crickets chirping in this place.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wondering about the product in question? its a powder? seems to me it would be just easy to pull or dig up most of the weeds in question. proper lawn care practices from the beginging would be the best choice to me in stead of walking around dropping powder every where. proper land care and a dence turf would surpress most weeds and remember all weed germanat at different times so you need to keep a close eye on that. when you see them pull or dig up before the go to seed or spread. after you pull or dig up drop some seed and soil. thats the correct way.spaying, dropping powder is just a bandaid aproch to me its all about proper soil care from the start. the customers need to under stand that. so many factors involved to proper soil care, to make the soil not habitable to weeds. cal/mag ratio compaction ph lack of tense turf , abig one to me aclean mower deck! and say you have a huge spot of weed killed.what about the bare spot left behind? you just going to get more weeds. its all about the soil you guys, and i under stand a lot of mow and go guys never really get that and they are trying to provide another service to charge the customer you know? instead of correcting the problem to begin with, i think if you explain that to the customer from the start you can still make a profit and provide the proper care to get results..see thats the problem with society today instant gratification. a healthy weed free lawn is never that easy,nor is it rocket science.you are always going to have some weeds to deal with. listen to what the weeds are telling you,there"s a under lying problem and treat accordingly,use the IPM approuch. so inclosing just because big company's use these products doesn't mean they work, its just another angle for them to make a buck and remember knowledge is key.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Green Guardian products in the picture above are liquid. They have a 14-0-5 and a 5-0-3. They are both pesticide free and are marketed more as "edible" than organic. The 14-0-5 does contain urea. What it does is knock back the weeds and then push turf growth in those areas. Just like any weed kill, you might have to re-seed certain areas.

Can you not capitalize a sentence? Your stuff is hard to read.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Natty, That you had trouble reading my post. And yes i can capitalize. Depending on what type of weed it is. Knocking it back is just a band-aid approach. From what I"v seen in the field , 11 years lawn care/landscaping for chem guys using the most potent chems available, That you are just suppressing them instead of killing them.Unless you repeat apps. every 7 to 14 days till you know its gone"dead", if that possible? Weeds like Nut grass/kaliga/spell check that one.lol. Dandelion/plantains all have other tubers rhizomes taproots ete. If you don't kill it completely it will lie dorment till it can recover,"yellow nut grass is the worst here where i am" Its a contiouse cycle, Which is good if your trying to charge the customer annually. But in the long run the customer will see there's no progress being made. And worst of all you are spraying chemical's annually and polluting the enviorment. Now crab grass is tricky cause it has so many seeds that can blow in and the lawn maintenance from the mowers is the BIG one to me"sticking to the deck and wheels ete.and spreading from lawn to lawn, And it being a grassy annual weed that loves hot temps and curb lines. Those seeds can lye dormant for many years. Cultural practices is the key. The point every body misses. I also know in the real world this is very labor intensive and time consuming but, That's the best strategy to me. I think you can recoup profit in many ways from that approach, 1 if you can keep the turf under control season after season , Your customer will probably tell one of their friends and so on and so on.2 Being known as the guy who can archive these results is priceless to your business 3 It shows to your customers that you do know something and your not just trying to make A buck and that you care about the service you provide them, To me its all about the customer relationship, So many guys take advantage of that fact, think their **** don't stink and i have enough customers and who cares if the leave. That's the problem with our industry , Seems to me most are just out for the buck. That good and bad cause, the good part is it leaves the door open for guys like me to gain customers, cause they want quality and bad cause it gives a bad impression of us as a whole. It also seems to me you have motivation to sell this product/ saying you can offer natural crab/ weed control, But you know and I know you are just suppressing them and if they went to seed, well back to square one. , and I maybe giving your product more credit then i should by saying that. The ingredient says cinnamon? Is that a selective herbicide? How? Is that the reason for the fertilizer in it? . Does the label say you better have good aim with your wound when you spray? What about dense turf with early stage crab grass how do you not burn the turf? And Ill also say I dont know every thing and IM always trying to learn more so dont take afence to this post. I am open minded to every thing but a product that doesnt list full ingredients you have to be skeptical, There are so many new products out there and they all make their claims you know? Also I under stand weeds have to be brought undercontrol to start any good program and you cant always pull or dig up every one I realize that!!!, but guys out there need to under stand their soil first instead of just spaying to suppress. understand whats causing the problem and take the appropraite action .If you have any info you would like to share with me you can email me at organichorticare@hotmail.com thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

opps natty sorry if im confused I thought you were talking about the product from crabgrassalert.com sorry for any confusion!
the green g. product i know nothing about yet Ill get back to you on that one I was asking the question about if it was powder pertaining to crabgassalert
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used the product before w/ my previous employer. It is just cinnamon, I think like 95-98% then a little inert. what the inert is i dont know. The way they had us using the agralawn was to spray the crab grass w/ quicksilver, one other herbicide i can not think of right now for the world, then sprinkle the agralawn on, then re-spray lightly again to "activate". they got ok results, but like growing said crabgrass can be a beast
Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Elden What is quicksilver? What tool do you use to sprinkle the agralawn with? Strait from the can? And how much? How does it affect the surrounding turf? How long does it take to take affect? Is one treatment enough? On a scale 1 to 100 what do you rate it? What is the surrounding turf variety? Warm or cool season turf? thanks for any insight