Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2008, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

growingdeeprootsorganicly, no offense, but it would help us all if you broke up your posts into paragraphs, or at least logical thoughts. Also wouldn't hurt to run a spell check.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kiril,
Thanks for the advice, I knew I would get jumped on for my spelling errors
and sentence formation. In retrospect I guess in does just run on and on.
I apologize. Ill do my best not to run on with my thoughts like that I the future
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you use Firefox2, there is an inline spell check you can enable in the options -> advanced -> general tab.

Works for multi-line form fields. Given I am also a poor speeler it saves me having to use a desktop app to do spell checks.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
If you use Firefox2, there is an inline spell check you can enable in the options -> advanced -> general tab.

Works for multi-line form fields. Given I am also a poor speeler it saves me having to use a desktop app to do spell checks.
Yo, Kiril, yous guys betta give us Jersey guys a break, if ya know whats good for yous.

Seriously, I use the spell check and preview post options provided by lawnsite at the bottom of the reply to thread page.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Berry,
Thanks for the back up! LOL. And i hear where you are coming from but, Barry's right. Just go advanced and they have spell check. I just got lazy and wrote to fast and didn't't check my post.
But anyway back to the thread. Any suggestions on topic? what products are you guys using? For spot control for grassy and broad leaf weeds? naturaly/organically? Does such a product exists? That really works?

I read a lot of claims but have no first hand knowledge on the subject myself. On my personal home lawn I pull or dig up, and fertilize organically with multiple organic products. And the weeds never get a foot hold.

I hope to start an organic lawn care biz this spring "god willing" So I'm studing every thing I can get my hands on.
I come from a chem lawn care back ground and I fell In love with organics about 3 years ago, Cause it makes perfect sense to me!
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-27-2008, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

growing it has been about 2 years since i used the product but it was like 1-2 tbsp. and they had us just shake it out of the container. Quicksilver is a synthetic herbicide As far as the sucess I would say around 75%, but I dont know how much of that was which product considering 3 different herbicides were applied to the crabgrass.

Like you I worked for a large company. Now that I am not working for them looking back I see alot of things that I did and things that were done that I don't agree w/ now.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Elden,
thanks for the info. Gez's 3 different products? Elden why did they use a synthetic and a natural product? What was their angle with that approach? I'm an organic guy at heart but, I would use an IPM approach myself. I know the purest will bash me for it, but there is a place for synthetic herbicides If there are no other choices and you have to get the weeds under control so they don't spread. And cause more damage

Now with that being said, I would not use them for the cure all. So many other factor's involved with weed control like i've stated in my thoughts in previous posts in this thread.

If you cut a yard with ton's of crab grass in it and it has gone to seed. What about the next yard you cut and so on. You spread those seeds. And believe me I know in the real world its easyer said then done as far as the proper cultural practices. But these type of things that make a difference in keeping weed out in the first place.

Now if there is a true effective selective natural/organic herbicide, please! I'm all ears
All ears that is , To people not hustling a product and to the people behind products you can email me at organichorticar@hotmail.com with any TRUE data and endorsement's
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Now if there is a true effective selective natural/organic herbicide, please! I'm all ears
All ears that is , To people not hustling a product and to the people behind products you can email me at organichorticar@hotmail.com with any TRUE data and endorsement's
Selective for what?

I wouldn't expect a reply to your email any time soon.............uh .....don't hold your breath
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe the theory behind it was that the agralawn would produce a quick burn of the weed while the other products worked systimically. Thus producing a quick visual for the customer. I will probly buy the product and do some field trials on it just to see how it works alone.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Elden,
Thanks for the info. Seems that way is a waste of time to me.
products like Q4 trimec+ acclaim ,msma based [products do the job to me, about aweek or so to kill.
that quick burn is not necessary. If a customer can't wait a week or two well they need to get a grip..
the correct strategy to me is an IPM approach. once the crab grass is under control.
When you can get the grass thick and dense and once that's established and proper cultural practices are TRULY being employed Then there's A chance to keep the weeds to a minimum. and you can just pull and dig up weeds when they pop, cause once their under control it's not a big deal to use that method.
Just spraying when you see them is not the way to go

Say the yards full of crab grass that's gone to seed and you cut and bag it .
you are still going to drop seed and the next yard you cut that might not have any is going to get seed dropped there and so on. Got to get the crab grass before it goes to seed. that's the trick.
In my book its ok to use herbicides in an organic program. Only to get the yard under control at first. not as an annual program with out any proper cultural practices being employed. You spread the seed you shoot your self in the foot. that's the problem with any program. most mow and go guys don't care cause its another service to sell annually.
most customers don't know that crab grass is an annual weed and its germination times and that it thrives in the summer and dies out in the fall any way. All weeds have life cycles. For instance chick weed. usually a winter weed a customer might say get rid of that . Guy comes in and sprays but at the same time there's lawn maintenance going on and dropping seeds . Next year comes 'spring" maybe some but not that much a problem.
customer thinks gee they did a good job only to find tons again that fall. Its all about cultural practice's . that's the key to me .
There's more that I could say about it, but my dinner is almost done.
You have to look at the whole picture
: But that's just an opinion

ps this is to ICTBILL selective for anything and every thing " I think you know what I mean by selective I mean it kills weeds not cool season turf