Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2006, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you handle a non-payer?

I've got a client who owes me $85 for 2 mowings I did roughly 30 days ago. I left a bill both times and called several times. They keep saying they'll pay, but don't. My gut feeling is that they won't pay unless I really start pushing and getting nasty and maybe then won't even then. They are renters and the place looks like a dump. Doesn't appear that they would even have $85. Not sure if I should just forget it, or pursue it. They one thing that bothers me is they have my home address as I don't have a separate billing address yet for my business. I think I will get one soon to avoid this in the future. With a family, you just can't be too careful what nutjob you piss off. Any suggestions or good delinquency letters would be helpful.
Thanks
McCulloch trimmer
Toro trimmer
Homelite blower
12x6 Enclosed Trailer
88 Chevy w/ 8 ft. bed
Old 04-24-2006, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

only 30 days? most of these guys have a due date of.....never.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDURO
I've got a client who owes me $85 for 2 mowings I did roughly 30 days ago. I left a bill both times and called several times. They keep saying they'll pay, but don't. My gut feeling is that they won't pay unless I really start pushing and getting nasty and maybe then won't even then. They are renters and the place looks like a dump. Doesn't appear that they would even have $85. Not sure if I should just forget it, or pursue it. They one thing that bothers me is they have my home address as I don't have a separate billing address yet for my business. I think I will get one soon to avoid this in the future. With a family, you just can't be too careful what nutjob you piss off. Any suggestions or good delinquency letters would be helpful.
Thanks

Letter?

Go knock on his door whenever youre around his house. Call him once a day until you get it.

I throw out half my mail. Letters wont do any good.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay
Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

picture speaks for itself
Attached Images

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

J/K about above pic...... a letter worked for me when i neeeded it, just saying that they needed to contact me on when i could pick up the check from them or legal action would be taken. I wouldn't have them mai the checkl as that gives them the option of "the check must have gotten lost in the mail" BS that they give you to allow more time for them to not pay

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, it's official. They outright refused to pay last night. I called them one last time. I was polite and asked when they would be able to pay the past amount due. She tried to play dumb 1st by saying what amount past due. I said the $85 that's over 30 days late for the 2 times I cut her grass. She then went on to say she's got more important bills overdue and couldn't pay now. I informed her it would go to collections if not paid in 10 days, she said send it to collections then and hung up! PITA. Any suggestions. I don't want to really speak to these f00ls again, but I want the money. Anyone ever sue someone themselves over such a small amount. Now it's not just the money, but the principal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
McCulloch trimmer
Toro trimmer
Homelite blower
12x6 Enclosed Trailer
88 Chevy w/ 8 ft. bed
Old 04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Shes been through this before obviously. I would go down and file small claims. I let my clients know that they have 30 days to pay from date of invoice any debts past due will be filed in claims.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its obvious that you can't hurt there credit and even if you win in court they have to have something in order to collect. See post #4 for the answer to the problem
Old 04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

olddebts.com

certified letter stating you are taking them to small claims court

never work for renters again unless they pay in advance with home owners you can put a lien on the house and just threatening that in your certified letter usually prompts payment.

My guess is you are screwed.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I feel like taking a bunch of tree branches, trash, rotten grass clippings and dumping them back on their property where I found them. I would never do that, but it sure would feel good !!! I even went the extra mile and did a partial spring clean up for free since they were a new customer, what a sucker I am !!! I'm thinking of taking credit cards, instant checks, and cash only from here on out. Sending out bills, tracking and cashing checks, and collections is for the birds. I am a very small startup. I can't imagine the time you big operations spend on this stuff. It must be huge.
Thanks
McCulloch trimmer
Toro trimmer
Homelite blower
12x6 Enclosed Trailer
88 Chevy w/ 8 ft. bed