Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2000, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charles-thanks for the input!I agree.This guy lets call him Mr.Bob went nuts he had 3 crews on the road in my city,brand new trucks and was the cheapest bidder in town.He just went bankrupt this spring!You are right prices are too low!<br>Mountain Man-thanks!That is a good idea I think that is one thing I will be doing soon.<br>Cutntrim-Thanks for telling me about that student idea.That would be great down the road!I don't think I would let a student on my Walker or Scag,But that could be good to hire a student for easy tasks like power edging spraying down the trucks and so on!P.S. hope the baby did not give you a hard time!<br>steveair-Thanks........but I think you need to read over my post agian.I am making money now(i'm not going broke!)but I want to make more than just paying all the bills and having a small amout left!.What I ment is that I want to find out what I have to charge to get to the point that i'm making what I want,Not raise may prices every year untill I hit that figure.I did not say that I will not make any money for 3-4 years.I ment that if I just continued putting my prices up it might take 4 years for all I know.I hope this will clear things up!<br>osc-Thanks for the input.<br>I hope this will clarify what I'm asking about.Any more ideas?<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care<br>
Old 04-05-2000, 11:36 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Adam wrote:<p>&gt;Any more ideas?<p>Get a pesticide license.
Old 04-06-2000, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My response is how much more do you want to make. If you want to be a millionaire, think about the stock market....<p>Maybe you are just in the wrong business. I have no idea what you make so I can't say whether you are making enough or not. <p>However, if you are truly unhappy with what you make, but still love this profession and wouldn't want to do anything else in the world, and also want to do it in canada where you live, then you may have to get creative. <p>My best advice would be to sit down, think about the thing(work) you do best, and excel at it. Just go all out. If your favorite part is mowing, then just mow, nothing else. Just become the best at it. Forget mulching, forget edging, forget whatever. Just do what you want to do become #1 at it. If you are the best in the area, then you should make the 'best' money. If the money is not there, then you will have no choice but to move on, but at least YOU know you tried. That's all you, or anyone else in the world can do. <p>This whole thing just doesn't make sense. If you are pricing your jobs out right, then why are you not making the money you want?<p>The only answer is that you are not pricing the jobs out enough. <p>It sounds to me like your saying you are doing everything right, 'by the book', but still aren't making the money you want. <p>Well, its simple. When you do something you love, money isn't as important as the fact that you love what you do and love where you live.<p>If you are complaining about money, then maybe the satisfaction from a job well done is not doing it for you anymore. If this is the case, then look for a job where money is the leading reason to show up for work everyday.<p>I go to work because I love it. Not for the money. Granted, money is important, but not everything. <p>I think, as I feel a lot of other people do here, that landscaping/lawn care is not about money, but about satisfaction in doing what one does in their lives (now granted, some of us make out very well in this profession). If you say you are doing everything perfect, then there is no doubt that you just aren't happy with this profession and that you want a job where money is the leading reason for waking up every morning.<p>steveair<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Member

ab lawn care i missed your point the first time,sorry about the insane thing , but i use that phrase alot. sounds like you need a account or a consultant like vanderkoi,.goodluck.
Old 04-06-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Adam: I am also in Ontario and have been doing lawns for 11 years; both full and part time. I was in a very similar situation. My answer was to reduce the area I work in (40 customers within a 12 mile radius) cutting down on fuel and lost time. I also looked at suppliers who would give me a discount such as fuel, telephone etc. I then found a small engine mechanic who liked to do work on the side who charged me less and gives me terrific service. I also do not take on any debt that cannot be paid for in 1 year or less (other than truck). Toro has interest free programs that I use to purchase my equipment.<br>The results have been very positive and my ROI remains high.<br>Good luck.<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence Stone-Thanks agian but why start up a dying business?In my city they are planning on banning pesticides!<p>Steveair-I think you don't know what I'm asking or ?????????.I'm not asking how to make money or anthing like that.I'm asking HOW I CAN LOOK OVER MY BOOKS TO SEE HOW MUCH I NEED TO RAISE MY PRICES TO GET TO WHERE I WANT TO BE FINANCIALLY.I turned my cap lock on so you see exactly what my question was.I hope this will help you to answer my question.You seem to think i'm close to broke or somthing.I never said that.If you will read my past posts in full you will read that I'm losing money.I also never said that I want to be a rich man or even close!I also don't know where you came up with that I don't injoy my job.I have been cutting lawns for people for 8 years and 5 years professionally.If I did not injoy my job I would not be here asking these questions.You were right money is not everything in life but its nice to have a little to save up for a vacation.I hope this will clear up my question.<p>steven bousquet-I'm glad you realized what my question was.Yes down the road I will look into what you said.<p>Lawnnorder-Thanks for the info.I am currently getting rid of any low paying customers and I also have started leasing my equipment in a 2 year lease.I have looked for a small engine machanic but have not found one yet.I hope down the road I will find one.Thanks for the info and hope to hear from you soon!<p>I hope this will clear up my question!!!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 04-06-2000, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

easy, take the total sales divide by the numbers of hours, 1,000 hrs produced $50,000 or 50 per hr. TO MAKE 60,000 YOU CAN raise your price to 60 per hour or WORK 200 MORE hours. quick and simple. only 3 ways to make more money 1.raise price per transaction. 2. get more clients, 3. increase the size of the customer purchases.<p>if you want to add 10,000 in sales and your avg account spends 1,000 all you need is 10 accounts or if you have 50 accounts spending 1,000, just get them to spend $200 more each or raise your price 20%. this is not what your looking for i am still not sure why you don't have a consultant or a accountant helping .do you exactly how much more you want? if so you can get there by using the above. it worked for over 10,000 companies of all kinds
Old 04-06-2000, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This may be an over-simplification but once I had a full work load, I only bid new biz at a high rate. Why? Because I am already busy enough with what I have. But some of these high rates come on board and slowly I can replace biz with better cuts and better money.<br>But actually I never seem to want to get rid of those old accounts that I worked hard for so I try bumping them up a little since I aquired new, better paying accounts. The pressure is diminished to be competitive because I have more accounts that pay well and are a treat to service. Within a couple of years I was making alot more money for the work load.
Old 04-06-2000, 09:49 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
ab wrote:<p>&gt;Lawrence Stone-Thanks agian but why start up a dying business?In my city they are planning on banning pesticides!<p>What other legal products will the ban next?<p>So I guess you will just let your elected officals put people out of business that are supplying need<br>services?<p>You should seriously consider moving from that twisted area.<p>Will your city pay for all the damage done to<br>your homes by termites or carpenter ants?<p>They are controled by a insecticide (pesticide).<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks agian everyone!This time I got the answers I was looking for.<p>Steven Bousquet-Thanks for your formula.Since I own clip software that will be no problem finding my total hours for a year!I will try that out.Thanks alot!<p>OSC-You are 100% correct!!!!I currently have a full work load and just today picked up a job.I priced it for 1/3 or more than my normal price.I plan to do this for now on.Thanks for the post!<p>Lawrence Stone-You crack me up somtimes.You said &quot;You should seriously consider moving from that twisted area.&quot;Yes our citys inforcements are somtimes nuts but I guess that is what you pay for living in the most beautiful city in the world under the pop.of 40,000.We where judged the winner last year in an international compition known as &quot;communities in bloom&quot;.Will the city pay for lost income,YAH RIGHT!!!!!THAT'S A LAUGH!!!I beleave that all the chemical based applacations may be banned.Hey lets see if we win that compition in acouple of years when grubs have eaten half the parks and dandelions are the size of trees!!!!Boy you think that is bad what about that fact the we have to pay $1.20 for each bag of garbage we put out to the street!!!Now what do you think about that!!!!!!!<p>Thanks for all the posts everyone.<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care<p>