Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Phone calls from customers - how late is too late?

This may be a dopey question, but I was wondering what time of night most of you stop answering your business phone. I've had several callers try to get a hold of me after 8pm and that happens to be right around the time that I shut off my ringer because I am at my full-time job (at a factory). I just allow the voice mail to take it and I call the person back in the morning.

So do most of you answer the phone only during business hours? Or will you answer any and every call that comes in, even if it's at 4am. I guess part of that depends on how hungry you are for business.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

No such thing as a dopey question

If you have to work shifts let the answering machine pick up or use your cell but make sure you call back promptly or theyll be calling the next guy on their list.I do lawns after work till 700 or 730 and then have to put the stuff away and clean up and do the books whole the info is still fresh in my head. I got two kids in college and the lawns help out I enjoy doing outside work and having my own small bussiness. Good luck!!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Answering machine p/u calls. I will make return calls up till 8:30 or 9 pm. No later.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

just return the call as fast as you can, on break or lunch,.,

you would be suprised at how many customers i have picked up because i called back right away they say" i cant get anyone to call me back thanks so much..."

just get to it as fast as you can...
6 full time
Old 04-27-2006, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Call backs!!

I picked up two new accounts this week cause they said I was the only person to call them back!! One guy said a Lco left a flyer on the door and when he called him back he never returned the call!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom c.
I picked up two new accounts this week cause they said I was the only person to call them back!! One guy said a Lco left a flyer on the door and when he called him back he never returned the call!!!
Now that's just plain nutty! No doubt one of the fly-by-nighters.

Although, I do admit there was one woman, very early on, that I didn't call back because it sounded like the clean-up job from hell. In retrospect, out of respect for the fact that she payed attention to most of my flyer, I SHOULD have called her and simply told her that I was all booked up.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I answer my phone at all times. I work a swing shift and have a couple cutomers that work odd hours. If I can, I always try to answer the phone........... unless I am playing with my kids or eating dinner.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can only advise not to answer the phone if you think you might be in no mood to be called at this time, so to speak. Otherwise, if you feel like answering you should answer it, this is your business and you decide, I've answered as late as 10:30pm and as early as 3:30am but again DON'T answer it if you're in no mood to be receiving calls at this time.

This is one reason I leave my phone in another room when I go to sleep, I do NOT want to be woken up because you're likely to catch me on a short fuse.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get your customers used to calling you at off hours. I will answer mine from 0700 to 1800. In the past have had call at 0500 on Sunday and as late as 2330.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I can only advise not to answer the phone if you think you might be in no mood to be called at this time, so to speak. Otherwise, if you feel like answering you should answer it, this is your business and you decide, I've answered as late as 10:30pm and as early as 3:30am but again DON'T answer it if you're in no mood to be receiving calls at this time.

This is one reason I leave my phone in another room when I go to sleep, I do NOT want to be woken up because you're likely to catch me on a short fuse.
That's exactly why I feel there should be a cut off time - you gotta have sleep!