Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

CAST Lighting? Or something else?

Currently, we only offer CAST lighting to our customers- since it's the best! But... it's a hard sell to people that aren't rolling in money. Do you know of another high-quality light manufacturer that's less expensive than CAST- but can still be wired the same as CAST lights?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, any of them. Just pick another brand that you like and as long as it is the same voltage you can wire it the same way. Good luck.

Walter
Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for something that is a better quality than Home Depot stuff- but maybe not as great as Cast. Something reliable and well built. Does anybody have any specific name brand recommendations?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Kichler is decent. I'd stay away from Focus, Unique and Hadco if possible.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use Kichler, Vista, Cast and FX. These are all high quality products. Some cost more than others. Kichler does have some cast brass fixtures that are very heavy and well built. If you PM me I will give you some contact info.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Are the clients going to roll in it in the future? Like 3-5 years down the line when the crap aluminum fixtures that are powder coated and the coatings gone and the socket is junk.What do they do then. They have no warranty left and it all looks bad. Is this when they need to be wealthy do redo the junk? Why not sell them on quality brass and copper fixtures with lifetime warranties and your service commitment. Advise them to not put as many fixtures in initially and put in the transformer with the understanding of future lighting and as they save you can add. They wont go 2 months with just 4 lights, they will call after living with the quality system and want to add,add,add. You cant demonstrate the whole yard at one time, so start with a few fixtures and a large enough transformer not so so crap with 5 year warranties and powder coating. Do it right first or recommend a cheaper contractor.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree... doing a system in stages (install a large trans or credit them for the smaller one later twoards purchase of a larger one) in order to meet a budget is just good business. It opens your doors to customers who cant afford to lay down a large chunk now. If they can afford say one third of the reccomended system then light the front of the structure first. Add in flower beds and or back yard and such later. I recently provided a proposal and broke it down like this

Initial install w/ 1200w trans to allow expansion later $xxxxx

Add on butterfly garden $xxxxx

add on side yard $xxxxxx

Add on back deck$xxxxxx

my wording was much differerent but i layed it out like i was looking out for thier best intrest and saving them money later as they wont need to reinvest in the heart of the system.

We even plan to do our own system in stages as funds and time permit. Right now its more a time factor than anything.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I guess if everyone thought this way we would all be driving around in Rolls Royces. Wouldn't it be great if we could get that car one piece at a time. I think I'll by the fender today, anyone want to loan me $10,000 for that fender? Next year I'll get the windshield.

Not everyone can afford a Rolls. If you install a quality product (Kichler, Vista, FX) and it is maintained properly, it will last for, well, I don't know. I have never had to replace one of my systems.

Just something to think about.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

Interesting post, but I think the rolls royce analogy is a gross exageration. I suggest you do real price comparisons and you'll see that all the quality fixtures and transformers from the good manufacturers are actually very close in price.

You don't have to increase system prices by very much to go from mediocre quality to best quality.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Even a few Cast lights can be way out the the ballpark for some people. There are been a few customers that we have tried to talk into doing a few lights initially that have been so turned off at the price they decided to go elsewhere.
Not everyone is concerned about a lifetime waranty. What about people that know they will be moving in a few years? Or investors? They want something good- but it doesn't always have to be "the best".
I love Cast lights- and wish everyone wanted to buy them. But some people just want something a little less "top of the line".
I haven't priced anything from the other manufacturers yet. If I find they are only a few dollars cheaper- then I'll scrap the whole idea. But if I can find something a bit cheaper that's a great quality- with maybe a 10-15 year warranty- then why not have another option for my customers?
Is Kichler close in pricing to Cast? Anyone know if they have a website?