Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2006, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

aerate after fert+dimension application

I am trying to get my lawn in tip-top shape, just got done tine raking it which made a world of difference already. The brown matted areas coming on nice and green in just a few days. I need to get my fert down and soon - I am already behind. I got some Lesco + Dimension to spread on my 1.5 acre lot. I also wanted to aearte, but I will not have a chance to get to that for another week or two. It does need aerated for sure. The question is, should I fertilize now then aerate or wait potentially 2 weeks then aerate and fertilize? The last fert application was in the fall.

I am just afraid that aerating will break the surface cover (or whatever it is called) caused from the herbicide.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would aerate first then apply fert .
Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

STOP do not do either option. Put down your prem and let it go if you aerrate then you break you weed barrier if you arrate then prem you will have hollow plugs with no life in them. aerrate in the fall trust me you need to aerrate about last of August

Details make money!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Several university studies have shown that aeration does not break the preemergent barrier.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The old wives tale concerning pre-em and aeration, still persists.Aerate if you wish.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma
STOP do not do either option. Put down your prem and let it go if you aerrate then you break you weed barrier if you arrate then prem you will have hollow plugs with no life in them. aerrate in the fall trust me you need to aerrate about last of August
ditto's... you don't want to disroupt the soil.. also areating will furnish the weed seed (dandy's) a great place to germinate (which dimension has no effect). stick to sept-nov for the aeration.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

University testing has repeatedly confirmed that a well formed preemergent barrier is not breached by aerating. Pros shouldn't be perpetuating wives tales.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor
University testing has repeatedly confirmed that a well formed preemergent barrier is not breached by aerating. Pros shouldn't be perpetuating wives tales.
my 24 years of hands on experience will not support university testing.

i have seen crabgrass germinate from about 1-1.5 inches down into the aeration hole. especially a lawn that has not been cared for in the past (of course this would be a lawn you would expect crabgrass problems on anyway) but to see a lawn full of crabgrass, all of which has germinated either from within the aeration hole or from the aeration plug is discouraging, time consuming and not very profitable.

aerate in the fall
Old 04-27-2006, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would skip the Dimension. Aerate now and in the fall. Just mow at 3 to 3.5 inches. A high mowing height is your best crabgrass control. I have never used a crabgrass preventer on my lawn and have never seed crabgrass.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
my 24 years of hands on experience will not support university testing.

i have seen crabgrass germinate from about 1-1.5 inches down into the aeration hole. especially a lawn that has not been cared for in the past (of course this would be a lawn you would expect crabgrass problems on anyway) but to see a lawn full of crabgrass, all of which has germinated either from within the aeration hole or from the aeration plug is discouraging, time consuming and not very profitable.

aerate in the fall
I'll admit that a crabgrass farm shouldn't be spring aerated. I suppose this situation need to be kept in the context of this individual lawn. We really don't know enough about adawg88's lawn to make this call.