Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2006, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

this is why YOU MUST get advance payments

i do some sub work for a guy that has no license to apply. i signed one of his new customers on march 15th. the lawn was/is a disaster. i explained to him, that he is infested with weeds, and it will be a long process to kill the weeds, and eventually have nice grass. one alternative is to kill everything there, and lay sod @ $$$$. he declined, and opted for a chemical program with the understanding that he needs to be very patient, and the process would probably take more than an entire year. agreed. i got my program, pre paid in full. he called YESTERDAY, april 28th, freaking out, "i have dandelions, my yard looks terrible, bla bla bla bla bla." i reminded him of our initial conversation. he said, "patience? i been patient, it's almost may, and i have the CRAPIEST LAWN on the block." to which i replied, "sir, no, you don't have the crappiest lawn on the block, YOU HAVE THE CRAPPIEST LAWN in the entire city. BUT, it was crappy when i got there a month and a half ago, and, as sure as god made green apples, it will crappy 6 months from now. i told you when we met, it is a long drawn out process to correct a lawn like that." well, he wasn't hearing it, and he wanted his money back . so you see, if i had done the work, and "billed" him, i would never get paid for this. let this be a lesson to you credit giving business owners.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

so you dont give him any money back ? you just continue doing the treatment like you guys agreed apond ?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had the same conversations with new customers and I've never had the result you did. Are you sure you explained it in detail to the customer? Since you have your applicators license why don't you just explain that you can spray the entire lawn today, for a fair price, and the weeds will be gone within 2 weeks? Granular applications are fine but they can be a very long, drawn out process on heavily infested lawns. I think that granulars are better suited for a regular maintenance program and not for a lawn overhaul.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

richard, my experience shows me that: trying to kill winter perenials, such as dandelions, that are in this life stage, using a selective herbicide, is like trying to take down king kong with a toothpic. and why bother? if i killed every weed, there would be bald spots, and bald spots, breed more weeds. he was told a month ago, that this was a long drawn out process. i will treat for the weeds, when it is THE CORRECT TIME to treat these weeds, and that, is in october/november.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
richard, my experience shows me that: trying to kill winter perenials, such as dandelions, that are in this life stage, using a selective herbicide, is like trying to take down king kong with a toothpic. and why bother? if i killed every weed, there would be bald spots, and bald spots, breed more weeds. he was told a month ago, that this was a long drawn out process. i will treat for the weeds, when it is THE CORRECT TIME to treat these weeds, and that, is in october/november.
I have had excellent results using a quality post emergent herbicide such as Lesco Momentum in the Spring. If he wants results now and he is willing to pay for it I would spray the entire yard and then slit-seed with the appropriate seed. I offer no warranty on any seeding due to conditions such as a customer's inability or unwillingness to water.

I do agree that the fall is the better time but if he wants results now and is willing to accept them on your conditions I don't see why not.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pardon us for being too impractical. Er, Aaaaah ...the dude did pay you for an entire season, is alot better than most of us get set up with.

Prolly best to core aerate and/or power-rake, then spray now with Surge, and produce some visible results in 7-10 more weeks hereafter, rather than risk his suit because he see's chitty weeds day in and out at his own home for chrissakes. He may get political with the town fathers, blog you at his neighborhood association's website(ever wonder why you never seem to break new ground in certain neighborhoods??), become an avid reader at lawnsite simply by doing a websearch for "homeowners forums", and take your sry azz to small claims court if he can prove you didn't make any effort to even try to do any of the following:

In 6-8 weeks after Surge app; apply agLime to absorb any trace Surge and to compost summer clippings and leaf-drop, apply Rodfather's favorite type of starter fertilizer if he would reiterate in this thread; with a hardy seed blend: two fast sprouting types like a ryes and a blue, and a fine and a tall fescue that have 10-14 day sprout potential if homeowner will keep soaked for 2 weeks thereafter. Reseed in 6 weeks while the owner has started

Sure the weeds will be dead, and results will be sparse here and there, but try again in Sept. With a little elbow-grease you'll have a reference and ally instead of a pita. Because you can catch alot more bees with honey, rather than vinigar; produce an undisputable win-win situation where little was promised as you already have, yet much more delivered than expected. Take Picures through the whole process ad post them here for us all at lawnsite - somm has challenged you right here, right now, right today; we say - right here and right now and right today, ok ??
Our Attached Lawn was done in one season.

It's known as customer retention, Bobby.
Good Post you chit disturber you !
Regards
Attached Images

Are you sure you are charging enough to incl. eqpt.maint./rental/lease/replacement, ins., licens'g, marktg., mat'ls., payroll, legal, permits, postage, customer retention, safety eqpt., taxes, telephony and uniformed work clothes into what you do everyday to last you the next 10 years ?
Ted Nugent: "God, Guns and Rock & Roll"; "The 5 Boxes of Freedom": Soap, Ballot, Witness, Jury, Cartridges Citizens, Jurors, Voters, Volunteers.

Last edited by SOMM; 04-29-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no sir, it's known as impractical. it's almost may 1st, your process will have me seeding in the heat + humidity of summer. aint happinin, been there done that. he will do, as he was told, "sir, i can't walk on water, and i can't turn it into wine, your lawn sucks, that is a fact. be patient, let me handle it, and over TIME, you will see gradual improvement, and eventually it will look like this (showing him a b4 + after pic of a yard that was once similar to his). other than that, i don't want hear your sorry squeeky voice on my answering machine. consider this your first warning." in my part of the country, we have a very short "opportunity" season for doing stuff like that. do it right, do it once. period.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

o, somm, ya ok, your "procedure" is just dandy, so lang as the client is willing to pay $500-$600 for it. then of course, is the durability question- can we grow grass now? sure. how long will it last? why don't we just do it right?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So you are not applying any herbicide in April or May? That ain't right.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfscape LLC
So you are not applying any herbicide in April or May? That ain't right.
I'm been putting down three-way like crazy, my new accounts were treated very bad last year and it shows. never dreamed I'd be applying full coverage of Three-way on the first round. (normally just spot spray) short shooting applicators gave up 2 accounts with 60 acres to me because they were being tight with the applications last year. saving a few bucks by under applying loses big accounts in the years to follow.