Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Did that customer really just say that to me?

1. "The lawn didnt need cutting that day." Usually said to dispute a cut on a bill way after its past due.

2. " I was home, noone mowed that day" Again to dispute a cut on a past due bill.

3. " I could mow it myself cheaper" Why in hell should they think it would be cheaper to have a service mow?

4. " Your guys are in and out in 5 minutes" My next question is if there is a problem with the service....NO.....But how can I charge $30 for 5 minutes work.

5. " Ill throw you a 10 spot to hit mine quick" When the neighbor comes over with a foot tall yard, thinking you should jump all over it.

6. " My husband worked for 30 years and never made $45 an hour" Customers reply when quoted on a labor rate. Like overhead is free. They dont complain at an auto mechanic.

7. " You only pay these Mexicans $40 a day, you have that covered after your first lawn" If they only had a clue what an employee actually costs. Mexican or not around here you wont find someone less than $10 an hour.

8. " Your not the cheapest" Oops sorry......Didnt realize I was supposed to be.

9. " You're not allowed to charge tax, only businesses can" This one explains itself

10. " Can I get a couple of your Mexicans on a Saturday to do some landscape work I wanna do" This one really cracks me up, they dont want to pay me to do the job, but Im supposed to arrange for my employees to freelance it"

11. " I had the money when I told you to do the job, but then some important bills came in. You're gonna have to wait till next month"

12. " Come and give me an estimate and if youre cheaper, you get the job" Usually said right after we're told we're competing against a weekend warrior lawn guy"

13. " JOE SAID" This phrase is the worst. Usually told to my foreman when he goes to collect the check when the job is done.

Example: 5 yard mulch job. " JOE said you were gonna cut that tree down, and seed over there, and remove that monster bush, and dig me a trench, and install a new patio, pave my driveway, and re-roof my garage. IM NOT PAYING $350 FOR JUST MULCH.

14. " I MUST TALK TO JOE" I have 2 knowlegable experienced people in the office and yet I always get the urgent message that I HAVE to call back. Usually to answer a question that I have to ask the office girls for the answer anyway.

DISCLAIMER: This post is for humor purposes only. Im not complaining or looking for answers to these statements. Nor am I asking for advice.

Feel free to add yours.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, the JOE SAID is a classic!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

9. " You're not allowed to charge tax, only businesses can" This one explains itself

I love this one even though we dont charge sales tax, but since it explains itself. Very nice collection of excuses.
Tk 4 98 Explorer 4.0 liter 4x4
Tk 5 96 Ford F250 Xcab long bed
Tk 6 97 Ford F250 Single Cab, 4x4 With 7.5 ft Fisher
Tr 1 - 16 ft Mowing trailer
Tr 2 - 12 ft dump trailer
Tr 3 - 10 ft utility trailer
Tr 4 - 12 ft Mowing trailer
Tr 5 - 18 ft Skid loader trailer
1992 Case 1840 Skid loader

Jason Rohrbaugh
Crew Cut Enterprises LLC.

Annapolis, Maryland
Old 04-29-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
LOL, the JOE SAID is a classic!
That would never stand a chance if it was a "Bobby said"
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

very good collection of excuses, ive heard most of them! "ill throw you a 10 on the spot to hit mine quick" ahahhahahah

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry Pro, can I add one?

"Hey, you put that fertilizer down a week ago. When is the lawn gonna' turn greener?"
Old 04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties
Sorry Pro, can I add one?

"Hey, you put that fertilizer down a week ago. When is the lawn gonna' turn greener?"
Old 04-29-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of mine don't make any of those comments to me, I weed them out long before it comes to that anymore. I get way too angry over this, some thing like 'only businesses can charge tax' would make me want to rip their head off and shove it down their throat, after I take a dump down it. From time to time one comment might slip and especially sometimes with a new customer, but that's instant ignore and the thickest wall of defense pops up immediately and I never heard it, right? Cool, now then...

I get the odd funny guy from time to time, but as soon as some cute saying like that comes out their mouth, I'm on my way out of there and fast. All that stuff is just trouble waiting to happen, a sign of someone who has no respect for me... If they are looking for a lawnboy they can hire to play around with, they can call someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anyone to bow down before me and kiss my tail either. All I ask is to be treated with the same respect I treat them with, which is basically on an equal level to the extent of yes sir and yes ma'am and very nicely for the most part. As far as I know all my customers are like this, at least most of the time anyway.

Last edited by topsites; 04-29-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

heres one for ya. Had a dummy e-mail me this one.

Could you not mow our lawn for two weeks. We are fertilizing and still cleaning out the flower beds.

Which really translates to "we are broke so we will mow ourselves till we get some money". They are history, good luck to my competition.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment