Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lane lawn care
i know that i am supposed to change the oil every 50 hours onm my machine, but for the bigger companies you must have to change your oil like once a week. my question is, if you are using it regularly, can it go longer between changes? is the 50 hrs. only for those who only cut their own lawn every week?
I can not tell you what to do but I've changed oil in my cars for 20-some years, and now in my equipment. What I mean is, I know what oil looks like after 3 thousand miles in a car, and if my mower's oil is not at least that dirty, then I don't change it.

Today I also use at least a synthetic blend and in a few years will be switching to full synthetic, none of my stuff runs on standard oil and this makes a difference as well. They say if you've been running some type of synth that you can drain the oil from a motor and continue to run it WOT for several hours without damage, but it is not recommended. Either way, I know full synthetic when it first gets to the point where it needs changing, is still at least as good as completely fresh standard motor oil.

I have two mowers and I run them interchangeably, both machines get hours put on them and I run solo so I cut between 500 - 800 yards / year.

That having been said, I change oil and filter on my mowers once / year, in the spring. Should the oil ever get so dirty that it needs changing in-season, I would do that but so far this has not been the case, it hardly turns color.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the 15hp Kohler, the Advance Auto parts filter that I run is AA3614

Sorry, don't know for Kawasaki.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklawnmowing
i have 140hrs on my tiger cub with the 48/19 combo and my air filter is looking as clean as the day i bought it, and its still the same filter too, i did notice that you have to replace the fuel filter every 60-75hrs which is fine with me its a 5 dollar part. oh and every changes their oil every 50hrs? i thought it was every 30hrs. i just looked in the manual and it says ever 100hrs or bi-weekly
Order premium fuel filters in quantities of 30+ from J.Thomas and they run $1.03 each.
15hp Kohler air filters from J.Thomas, $6.50 each... Order 12+, $4.83 each.

Order over $350 in stuff from J.Thomas and the shipping is free.

You really need to get their catalog and go through it almost page by page, not everything is cheaper than the dealer but I did find enough to make up a large enough order to get free shipping, soon as I get the money together.

http://www.j-thomas.com/
Old 05-18-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

My Dixie Chopper manual recommends that I use Lucus Oil 15W-40. How does this stack up against the synthetic types?

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not"
Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lucas is severely overrated IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out Walmart Supertech filters. One of the best oil filters on the market by several independant tests. They are made by Mobil and are cheap too.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just checked back in on this thread, thanks for the info. I am approaching my next oil change as per the hour meter, but i have about 40 hours on mine and wonder when i can use synthetic oil, as i was told to wait a bit before using it in a new mower.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project