Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Polymeric sand to fill in hairline cracks?

Hi guys,

This might be a stupid idea but has anyone ever used polymeric sand to fill in spider-crack or really small cracks that would otherwise take forever to fill with crack fillers?

I was thinking to offer that as an add on, pour the polymeric sand on the driveway, swipe it up and down until its in the cracks, wet it to let it harden, seal right over it.

Any thoughts? Or am I just wasting my time thinking this over? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2015, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

not a stupid idea, maybe not the winner today but if you keep thinking outside the box, you will have a million dollar idea one day. and just because i or anybody eles thinks so, shouldent stop you from persueing your ideas, WE could be wrong.

here in the freezzzz zone, no cold filler is much good. only hot rubber will last for years. cracks expand & contract with temps, if the filler cant, it to will crack.

theres nothing faster than smucken down a gob of gater pave & flat squeegee out the spider.

long cracks take longer, but agine, drop the right amount of gater along the crack & V squeegee it down, go over in other direction if needed.

118 cracks in one driveway is going to take time, so charge for it or stay away. ive had drives that needed to b flat squeegeed with gater b4 sealing cause of to many small cracks.

moving on. talk with your customers, one will want to spend $900 to fill with rubber & seal every 5 years. the next customer will want cheep cold filler bcause he seals every year...or hes selling the place, ect.
taking the time to talk to your customers is worth its weight in black gold & you will learn to read customers.

i like your idea but i dont think i could do that faster than what i do now. so the next question is will the polymeric sand last longer? maybe only one way to find out.

on large drives with toooo mmmmaaaany freking cracks i will spray sealer only, take it or leave it.

May is allways such a crapshoot on the weather.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i guess i assumed u r using ct w/sand and since that will fill hairline cracks, i also assumed by hairline u ment small cause u wouldent b using any filler on hairline cracks.
sorry if iam incorrect.