Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Meauring footage-- those "wheeled" thingies?

Where does one get those, I'll call them, measuring wheels, that ya walk along with to measure feet. A lotta folks on here quote sq footage of props. Are you pacing thes out, or do you have one of the "wheels"? With the wheel deal, do you just chunk out squares on a property & then multiply for sq. ft.? Naturally some props aren't square/rectangle.

How do you measure a prop? Sorry if this is dumb, but I need to know the easiest most accurate method. The wheel deal would also help with "edging" costs, per foot.

Thanks

hillndale
Old 04-30-2006, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can get them at home-cheepo, or walmart, or any office store. try to break the prop into squares and multiply sq ft. Yea it's a life save realy helps with edging.

hope this helps

"You cannot run a "mow and go" operation and cry every time you lose an account" -JustMowit
Old 04-30-2006, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i just kinda look around and know an approx. sf. look here :

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...41#post1338441
Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gempler's Sells Pretty Good Ones or Northern tool i got mine at menards (13in Wheel) and i got a little one for really small areas and landscaping. Try www.gemplers.com or northerntool.com

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
Lesco Fertilizer Equipment
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by befnme
i just kinda look around and know an approx. sf. look here :

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...41#post1338441
Hey great-- Thanks for the link Befnme. I want to get "the wheel". Hop outta the truck. Roll the property, and quote. The customer will either be scared of the outcome, or be glad, 'cause they are paying the same as others, based on sq footage.

Thanks Mulcahey Mowing. How ya doin' gettin' jobs this season. Didn't you say you were starting off slow this season?

hillndale
Old 04-30-2006, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's still kinda slow but picking up for me. Spring cleanups were amazing i'm having a record year, but i don't have many lawns (lost allot) still working on yet more advertising how are you doing this season?

"You cannot run a "mow and go" operation and cry every time you lose an account" -JustMowit
Old 04-30-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulcahy mowing
It's still kinda slow but picking up for me. Spring cleanups were amazing i'm having a record year, but i don't have many lawns (lost allot) still working on yet more advertising how are you doing this season?
Yeh this season, I'm somewhat in the same boat. Lost a few, picked up a couple, and doing more advertising this year. I've got what I call my core group together, but I really need about 10 more to put me where I want to be. Once again folks are putting it off 'till the lawn needs service. Spring clean-ups are good here too. What a great long season we've had for those. Last season the weather sucked, winter to spring in a day & then so much constant rain. This year I'm scared of the opposite, meaning dry. That would stink, another reason to beef up the roster.

There are a ton of new folks advertising this year in my area for mowing. last year I new I was gonna have a good year. This year I probably will do OK too, but I'm not as confident in that fact.

Well good luck to you. Don't Have a or take a (Hey it's Sunday)

hillndale