Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2006, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used my 4mix trimmer for about a year now and love it. I just used the Fs 85 yesterday and like that also. Given a choice though, I will grab the 4mix...
Old 05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Ok Sounds Like I Cannot Go Wrong Then. I Think I Am Getting The Fs100rx Over The Fs80. I Am Not Sure Of The Price Of The Fs100rx Anyone Know?
I've used both the FS-85 and the Echo srm-260s before, still have an almost brand-new fs-85 but it has the trimmer attachment on it because I like to have a dedicated pole trimmer

Recently my echo started giving me headaches and I bought the FS-100rx and it is b-b-b-b-bad !!! It's no heavier than the FS-85 but it has TONS of power and sounds like a little harley at idle and low rpm's. Since I'm a little bit red, I really like the vrooom-vrooom sound it makes. At higher rpm's, the motor doesn't sound like it's going to do much but whoa the string winds up with a whirrr that is louder than the motor, and I mean noticeably louder. The string whirrring is actually about the only reason I have to wear hearing protectors, the motor isn't that loud but the string noise is WOW! And when it hits weeds, watch out for flying objects LOL !

Starts great, fuel consumption was a bit high at first until the excitement wore off... I usually use just as much throttle as I really need to do the job, and with the FS-100 I can do most of my stuff barely above idle: I get 4-6 yards per tank, maybe 8 but my lots are larger than they used to be (1/4 acre to an acre nowadays). Still, I'm working to get it to run all day on a tank and I think it can be done.

Price was not much higher than the FS-85, money was no issue at the time but I believe it was 340-360, I don't know for sure but it was NOT 400!!

You will very much so like the FS-100rx, it works great one-handed and left-handed and upside down and swing it between your legs and do acrobatics and all that, too.

Oh, one other thing: I replaced the Stihl's solid handle with my old Echo's D-handle and it's reeeeeally nice now. The echo's shaft diameter is a bit smaller so the D-handle has to be tightened carefully so the bracket isn't lopsided, but it fits.
You can remove the shoulder strap as well.

Last edited by topsites; 05-02-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My FS110 is ok. If I could do it all over I would go with RedMax. The Sthil doesn't start that easily (used to by 2 pulls, now its about 5-10) but its great when it is running.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

went from a FS80 (had since 2002, loved every minute of it!) to a KM110R split shaft 4 mix this season. Weight is barely noticable, the power is awesome, I like to say it has the torque of a diesel with weight of a 2 cycle... because of the power in the lower RPM range, it runs cooler from less RPM's (less friction equals less heat) which means its more comfortable to use, you can reach under a bush one handed without burning your arm its actually almost cool to the touch, and due to lower RPM's it uses less fuel I think... I don't think its too bad compared to the FS80, I love this unit... awesome! pricey but worth it!!!

Oh and another awesome thing about this unit, it cold starts very first pull, and warm starts very first pull with no chokin or fiddling with it... very consistent... love the sound of it too it is a quieter tone...

Last edited by FrankenScagMachines; 05-03-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

go with the 4mix they are super super quite no two stroke exhaust smell better fuel milage better power band, basically its got torque from a 4stroke and the speed from a 2stroke, buying another one tomarrow. $389.00
Old 05-06-2006, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a fs90 and fs80r. fs80r's been my trimmer for years. both are nice i cant wait till monday to see what the 4mix can do. i know the fs80r has balls so the 4mix must have a little more.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
i bought a fs90 and fs80r. fs80r's been my trimmer for years. both are nice i cant wait till monday to see what the 4mix can do. i know the fs80r has balls so the 4mix must have a little more.

Over the years I have switched from Stihl to both Echo and Redmax and have been running those. But a couple weeks ago I decided to try Stihl again so I bought four (4) FS90's ($309 ea) and also bought a couple hedge trimmer attachments ($289 ea). So far they are almost always the first grabbed now.

On a side note, have running the Redmax trimmers for 3-4 years now I personally just think they are over rated big time and the plastic housings (engine and trigger) will not take the same "commercial abuse" that even the Echo's will take and esp that that Stihl will take.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got two of the 4 stroke 100's. One is about 8 months old the other is less than a month. They are both in the shop. Plenty of power, but they are not as reliable as the 2 strokes.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think my 110rx is a gas hog and shield doesnt allow enough string for me but i also dont want to take it off and i dont like the handle(i have to bend over to much) those points are all minor. the engine is nice
Old 05-06-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Boy this is a great thread! we too right now, is in this same boat as far as buying new trimmers, or really just adding to the line up again. But as right now we run several FS80's and a McCulloch trimmer(s) . I am about as sick of that McCulloch trimmer as one can be, and yes it is an commercial trimmer. So I went in to get a 2006 Stihl book to look over the new line up and our dealer knows that we are happy with the FS80's , but he strongly recommended going with the FS90, as he said they were going to be fazing out the FS80's in the future. So I think that I am going to go with the FS90 and try the 4MIX. Thanks for having such a great debate here!