Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2006, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty03
Ok, let's look at the facts.

You actually didn't cut his backyard by your own admission. Whether he was out of town or not, that is not the point. Your price reflects cutting front and back each time unless requested by the customer. SO technically, you are in the wrong there.
I have a clause in my service agreements just for a problem like this. It states that if we come to the property and cannot gain access to any part of the yard you still owe full price for the cutting. So if they lock the gate for some reason and leave. Then i come along to cut the grass and cannot get in the backyard, i just cut the front and leave them the bill.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This whole garage door aspect of the situation. Being on the property is one thing but having access to the interior of the structure when the homeowner isn't present is another. This opens up a whole can of worms. I would NEVER attempt to open a door without having express permission to do so first. It's basically breaking and entering. Additionally, what if something from within turns up missing? Who's the first person the guy is going to come looking for?

I have the garage door code AND security code for a client of mine. I would never pass it along to an employee nor would I use those codes to access the structure unless the client knew in advance I planned on doing so.

If his client doesn't understand this, that's the clients problem. If anything, the client should appreciate his reluctance to do so in the first place. It's an honesty and respect issue and that's worth far more than the $5.50 he's trying to skate on.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i can't believe, at this stage of the game, you are allowing this man to hold your money hostage. you have every right, to cancel service anytime you want, and collect what is owed to you, for what was already done. it goes down like this, " mr jones, you fat miserable b@stard, i'm cancelling your service effective now. you have a balance of "xyz" for mowing + cleanup, i'll be over b4 u can lift your butt off your chair, TO COLLECT MY DOUGH. CLICK!"
Old 05-02-2006, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cancel service and send him the bill for what he owes. The faster he is out of your hair the better. I have never had a customer attempt to withhold payment after a cancellation, and if I did, I would tell them exactly how it is, in plain english (although not quite so eloquently as Mr. Gedd), "I did the work at the price we agreed upon, and you know that. There is no need for any further discussion on the matter, so pay up."
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

who's running this business? You are my man. Get some balls and tell him how its gonna be. Your terms are not negotiable.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When he says you should of taken 1/6 of the bill off you need to explain that $33 is just for the trip over that and that gives him say a half hour of work or whatever it is. I wouldn't drop this guy. I have some people like him. Also get the garage so you can always mow the back yard without him there if at all possible.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenScagMachines
What a crock I can't beleive this... this guy I've always said would be my first one to drop, but I can't beleive he's trying to pull this crap... what would you do?
I would tell you the story of the one I ran into that's similar to yours, but for simplicity's sake, if you re-read your own quote you might can see how you've answered your own question.

For what it's worth, I only tolerate bs from folks who have a LOT of money and are not afraid of my quotes and who write a check as if it didn't phase them when I hand the bill to them. The more moolah they are throwing in my direction, the more bs I put up with... Some do test me, but so long they pay and argue little about that factor, no problema.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenScagMachines
Thats what I'm planning to do, but I need to get paid for my one month of service, and I don't plan on ticking him off till I have money in hand... then its CYA!! Guess I just want ideas how to handle him until I get the money...
Ohhhh, that problem, hmmmm....
shoot I got one owes me 110 and technically I'm supposed to go cut their grass but they haven't sent me a check and it's been 2 weeks and I should've seen it coming and I can't say for sure for sure, but I get this feeling if I go out there again then I'm just throwing more good labor after bad, so to speak.

How much money's the guy owe u?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilder10h
"sir or maam, I'm sorry but my offer to service your lawncare needs are no longer available. When you called me back to ask for a lower price, let me know the type of customer you would be in the future and in an effort to reduce the amount of stress and frustration in my business, I am no longer offering my services to you. I wish you luck in finding a lawncare company that will give you quality service at the prices you are trying to get"
wow that is good, a bit tough but real upfront and to the point, I like it!

I am the same way, I've thought about quoting higher the next time they call but I've been down that road and doing that just doesn't work either. You can quote higher but the bs is all the same, these folk are bound and determined to get over on you so it doesn't matter if you quote them a price a thousand times higher, they're still going to try and try and try to get you.
It's like you said, they've already let you know what kind they are...
Best off to drop them and really, to do so before you even go out there the first time.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
wow that is good, a bit tough but real upfront and to the point, I like it!

I am the same way, I've thought about quoting higher the next time they call but I've been down that road and doing that just doesn't work either. You can quote higher but the bs is all the same, these folk are bound and determined to get over on you so it doesn't matter if you quote them a price a thousand times higher, they're still going to try and try and try to get you.
It's like you said, they've already let you know what kind they are...
Best off to drop them and really, to do so before you even go out there the first time.
Workin' on gettin' that post count higher?