Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jobsite traffic - Compaction

I am trying to break up an access road on a job site that is heavily compacted. Most of the job is complete and seeding has been done every where but the access road. The job is coming to end and we would like to clean up and move on. The access road has had everything run across it for the last 6 months. A stready diet of loaded tri axle dumps were part of the mix. The LCO I sub for wanted me to put my aerator on it. I have a Ryan tow behind. It does a greeat job but it's for existing turf areas not a construction site. I told him the aerator isn't going to break it up. I suggested we use a 3 pt tiller instead. I tried today and it didn't do much good. It was slow and after the first 4-5" you still have major compaction. Not to mention the amount of rock and crap we pulled up from the fill that was hauled in.

The job is a public park with baseball filed being the focus. This access road is parallel to one of the fields. It needs to be done right as it will be in full view.

I was thinking either a 3pt subsoiler or bottom plow attachment. I've never tried these. Does any one have experience with these attachments or this type of situation. I need to go as deep as I reasonably can and break this road up.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A subsoiler should do the trick IMO. I don't think you are going to be able to go much deeper than that. If you want to go really overboard, then run over what the subsoiler did with a disk cultivator and then smooth it all out with a york rake.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just need to break it up. The LCO I sub for will take it from there, as far as the final grading and seeding.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Simple areation wont work. I have a chart somewhere that shows the depth of compaction of various soil types due to construction equipment. The chart also shows the lenght of time it takes for the compaction to be relieved if left to natural forces. Some clays can take as long as 40 years. A subsoil ripper would be your best bet. If there are dozers still on the site and they have rippers, you might try letting them rip as deep as they can go, otherwise, rent a large farm tractor with a subsoiler and rip it as deep as possible.