Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Compact tractor/track loader question? New guy.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've got a question about small tractors/skid loaders.
A little background. I own a sign business (1 man operation). A few years ago I purchased this used Maximan track loader. I bought a hydrostatic auger for it to install sign posts. I built a back hoe attachment to do some landscaping around the house, etc. Unfortunately this unit isn't in production anymore and parts are getting hard to find. I put some hours on it last season and it's getting a little tired.
My daughter is getting married in 3 weeks, so, I am looking for a ''cost effective'' replacement. I would like to stay about the size of the Maximan, so I don't have to upgrade the size of our trailer. I'm open to a track loader, skid loader, compact tractor whatever would provide the most bang for the buck. Used but not wore out. I'd like to stay in the 2g to 4g price range. I just don't want to rush out and buy a replacement, only to find I could have bought a better unit at a better price if I'd just asked more question before the purchase.
Looking for something with a bucket, aux. hydraulic for attachments and compact. Any ideas where I should be looking. Haven't seen to much on EBAY under (Compact loader or mini track loader).
I'll be using it to drill post holes, loading & unloading material 500-600 lb. capacity would do, more would be o.K. In need of some repair would be o.K. also as long as the parts are still available.
Also if anybody would like to buy the Maximan for parts, it has a good briggs engine, good hydraulics, Output shaft on the left hand hydrostatic drive is broken. Maybe someone out there would like an extra machine for parts to keep theirs running?
Sorry about the looooong first post.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to load the pic. Hope this works.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Sponsor

It looks like a mini skid will be your best avenue for replacement. It is going to be tough to stay in the 2-4k range to source a used one from any mfg. I would look at the local auctions or contact a local dealer if they have any trade ins or rental yards looking to upgrade to a newer model.
Jon
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if the daughter is getting married in 3 weeks, i wouldn't try to replace her. just fix and repair as necessary. just be glad some one else gets to make the payments for a while.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I checked with the local rental place today. They may have a bobcat mini track loader for sale. The salesman is checking into it. They trade rentals from time to time. They had a gehl skid loader for sale. Needed some work which is no problem, but a skid loader is a little bigger than what I'm looking for. Hopefully if I'm patient a good deal will come along. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I would fix the one I have, but the output shaft broke and the maximan is no longer in production. I've broken 3 of these shafts over a 4-5 year period. It's a weak point in the design. I looked into having a shaft custom made to beef up the weak spot. Big $$$ and hard to get a machine shop motivated to make a couple 1-off type shafts. There's a list of things that need fixing on the old unit, to the point that I'll spend more time & money fixing than just replacing and getting rid of the problem. I looked at the new bobcat mini today @ the rental place. Night & day difference between it and mine. MUCH better design. It would be a pleasure to not have to constantly repair this old unit. Again, thanks for your input, I'll let you know what I end up with. Might take awhile, ........ got that wedding coming up.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Sign guy,
I was wondering if you still have your maximan. I am interested...You can contact me at gmf6430@yahoo.com.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

7 year old thread. Doubt he has it....