Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2001, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hello again,

I just looked at the specs on that towmaster dump trailer.....it weighs in at 4400 lbs empty! And thats the smallest model, they go up from there.

Thats comparable to me pulling my trailer (2300 lbs empty) with a yard of soil in it. It may be heavy duty, but is pulling 2000lbs of dead weight around that could be used pulling material (or making $) worth the satisfaction of having a 'heavy duty' trailer?

If I had a bigger truck, say a diesel powered dually, I would think about it, but even then, thats alot of extra weight. You almost need a single axle to pull that thing around loaded, and if you have a single axle, why even bother with a dump trailer then.

I would conclude that most guys in the market for a dump trailer are only going to pull it with a 1 ton or 3/4 ton pickup (Because if they already had a mason dump, they wouldn't be looking at dump trailers). It seems that it is common to overlook the fact that a dump trailer capable of dumping 14k lbs. may be a great idea, but in reality, when are you going to be pulling around 14k loads with a pickup on a daily basis. The way they market these trailers is very misleading. They are almost building them for a market that 'does not exist' when you look at how heavy duty some of them are.

And Rob, your trucking stories reminded me of a conversation I had with a fuel delivery man where I work. At the airport, Exxon delivers jet fuel using tractor trailers. They switched the 4 tandem wheels on the trailer(8 total) to 4, wider tires. The driver explained that they could load something like 75 gallons extra then on each due to the elimation of those for extra wheels. Short term, 75 gallons as part of a 7000+ gallon load is not what you think of a great savings, but over the period of a year, you add it up and it comes out to a huge savings for them. Even though it is technically as safe, it gets more fuel on per delivery. I think thats the way to think when purchasing a dump trailer, even though you can get away with overloading way easier than larger trucks can.

steveair

Last edited by steveair; 06-05-2001 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, yes - "super single" tires. I've never pulled anything with them, but I've seen them around. The tried-and-true dual wheel arrangement still seems to be far and away the most common though.

In addition to the weight savings, one advantage of the single tire is reduced tire scrub on turns.

On the subject of the dump trailers, here's one idea I have regarding the "heavy duty" weight: Again based on what I see in my area, dump trailers seem to get treated about the same as the conveyor being moved with a 980 I mentioned in an earlier post here: BANG! is as about as subtle as it gets. Being built extra-heavy to start with helps them last a little longer. Railroad cars are the same way, if a boxcar were built like a 53' highway trailer it wouldn't last a day.

Which brings me back to what I said about your trailer - avoid abuse/overloading and stay on top of maintenance, and it should provide years of service.