Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Echo Pb413h Run Like S*!@!

I had just received my new Echo 413. I used the oil that Echo supplied, mixed in a 1.gal can as instructed and filled it up. It took about 15 pulls before it fired (even after priming) and ran fine for about the first two residentials I did. Now it doesn't't want to start, even after it's warm, and I still have to choke it all the time. When it does start on choke I'll flip it off and it will run for about 30 seconds sputter out and die. when I manage to keep it running it runs like a cold blooded BiT*H. Did I just get a lemon or is this common with this model? I've got a PB46 with a ton of Hrs on it and it fires on the first pull every time, but that takes a while for it to run top speed until its warm. Any suggestions???????
Old 05-03-2006, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

carb adjustment?? maybe, where did you get it, take it back

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Empty your tank and refill using a different brand of 2 cycle oil and see how it runs for a day. It sounds like you either need a carb adjustment(running too rich) or you may have gotten a bad batch of oil or some from an old batch. If the oil has exceeded it's shelf life, the viscosity may increase significantly, causing poor running and hard starting. If it runs fine on a different oil, then you have some bad oil from Echo. Call Echo and tell them your situation. If they say nothing is wrong with your oil, or if it still runs crappy on the different oil, take it back to the dealer for a check up. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2006, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...09.A10246.html

Ask A Mechanic: April 7, 2006
Auto service and maintenance advice from TCCís resident gearhead.
by Bob Weber (2006-04-10)

Q--What is the shelf life of motor oil, two-cycle engine oil, antifreeze and windshield washer fluid?

A--Unopened products will certainly fare better than opened ones. If it has never been opened, antifreeze will hold up for years, although there may be some settling out of some compounds in the mixture so shake it up before using. Motor oil and two-cycle oil will last almost indefinitely
Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaps118
I had just received my new Echo 413. I used the oil that Echo supplied, mixed in a 1.gal can as instructed and filled it up. It took about 15 pulls before it fired (even after priming) and ran fine for about the first two residentials I did. Now it doesn't't want to start, even after it's warm, and I still have to choke it all the time. When it does start on choke I'll flip it off and it will run for about 30 seconds sputter out and die. when I manage to keep it running it runs like a cold blooded BiT*H. Did I just get a lemon or is this common with this model? I've got a PB46 with a ton of Hrs on it and it fires on the first pull every time, but that takes a while for it to run top speed until its warm. Any suggestions???????

What kind of gas did you use?? Echo and all of the other hand held manufacturers say that you must run at least 89 octane gas in these newer machines. ALL hand held companies require this now.

If better gas doesn't do the trick, take it back to your dealer for an adjustment. We use all Echo equipment and have little to no trouble with any of our units.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used regular unleaded 87 octane, I'll try the 89 hope this solves it, would synthetic help??
Old 05-04-2006, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo power blend is one of the better 2 cycle oils you can buy, and it has a very long shelf life. The oil is not the problem. It sounds like your carb needs to be adjusted. Try turning your high speed needle counterclockwise 1/8 to 1/4 of a full turn. Your PB46 is running perfect, all 2 cycle engines need time to warm up before they have proper combustion.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i agree echo oil is very good stuff. must be a bad carb.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it brand new? I bought one last year, brand new and it ran okay for the first few time. Then it would not start at all. I took it back and they gave me another one it it has run great since. I also use the Echo power blend mix oil and have never had any problems with it in Echo or other brand equipment.

blog site

Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The echo oil is one of the best 2 stroke oils on the market. Did you purchase the blower from your dealer or off of ebay or the internet? Echo dealer policy mandates the the product must be test run in front of the customer before the unit is delivered. The dealer is also supposed to expain starting, operation, fuel/oil requirements and all that stuff. If the dealer did not do this, take it back and see if he can help you out.
I do recomend running high test in all equipment regardless! The way the 2 strokes and some 4 strokes are running lean, it helps haveing the extra kick! Good Luck!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details