Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got overpaid LOL

I am putting this here for those who might feel tempted, as I am sure the title indicates...

What happened is I gave the customer one bill, then a week or so later another, but the second bill was a running or grand total (meaning it included the first bill) but I guess I didn't clarify this enough because the check was for the total of the two, so I got paid like for the grand total and then again for the total of the first. For argument's sake, say the total was for three cuts at 30 dollars each, the first bill was for two cuts at 60 then the third bill was for 90 (which is all 3 cuts and includes the 60) but I got paid 150 LOL (well it is kinda funny, I really didn't mean to do it).

Great as this may seem (well it is), I credit the customer's account for the overage, then deposit the check without further ado. Being how they're regulars, it will be a few weeks before the overage is worked off but they won't see another bill for close to a month heheh...

I am only saying this because I learned to never take advantage of a situation just because I can, always be honest and even if the customer makes a mistake, do not take them for a ride even if I know they would never find out, because it's bad juju. It's another way of saying watch their backdoor and don't step through it even if they accidentally leave themselves wide open.

It always comes back on you, good or bad, so do good and then it's never a problem.

Last edited by topsites; 05-03-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got overpaid instead of 1500.00 I GOT A CHECK FOR 15000.00 .It was written out Fifteen Thousand longhand too.So it was a perfectly cashable check.
But I noticed it at lunch and took it right back to the guy and we got a big laugh out of it.His face turned all red when I showed it to him though and he said"God please don't mention this to my wife!"
I said"How much you gonna pay me to keep my mouth shut!" LoL we laughed!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bobby isn't going to like this
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's just too DARN BAD!He's just going to have to live with it!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got paid twice for a big install once by the Mr and once by the Mrs. I think they copied the invoice, forgot about it and later sent the checks. I'm pretty sure the checks showed up within two days of each other. They were a little embarrassed and the Mrs. was kinda angry at her husband when I called to say they sent two checks.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Claim it as a tip and move on Just joking, I always enter the checks as they come in and if it is for to much it will automatically apply toward next invoice. I never look at the amount do, but i'm sure if I got such an overpayment as sheshovel then I would notice.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be honest, We were overpaid by a big comercial acct, they dbl paid us and we told them quick. This year they contracted us for 150 homes to landscape. Honesty does pay sometimes :-)
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i got over paid by a client, i charged $60 for a quick cleanup, he comes out and hands me $75 cash, i say you gave me too much, i only charged $60. he says "wrong, you under priced the work, next time estimate properly". i was stunned at first, as this new client had just purposly given me more money than i would have charged him. i said thank you and left. this looks like it could be a good season, he wil be getting priority over my other clients.

P.S. i really didn't under bid the property, it was a $60 job.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lane lawn care
i got over paid by a client, i charged $60 for a quick cleanup, he comes out and hands me $75 cash, i say you gave me too much, i only charged $60. he says "wrong, you under priced the work, next time estimate properly". i was stunned at first, as this new client had just purposly given me more money than i would have charged him. i said thank you and left. this looks like it could be a good season, he wil be getting priority over my other clients.

P.S. i really didn't under bid the property, it was a $60 job.

I love when that happens. I offered $25 for a yard weekly cutting, like 2K sq ft, tiny! And she said "oh no, $40."
Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

i have gotten that a few times as well mike lane but what i would do is call them let them know of the situation and if they want you to add it to the overages or send them $60 back