Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl BR600. Those that have them read this.

I am writing this to inform those that have the stihl Br 500,550, and 600. Please check your Back Piece for cracking and splitting. I have already had one warranty claim for a cracked back piece and today the whole think snapped. Broke right in half, upper from lower, at the two bolts that hold the springs to the back piece. I have already talked to one person that has had a crack in his and there may be others.
My main reason of doing this is that stihl needs to redesign this piece and I am hoping there are enough of you out there that is happening to so that stihl will recall the whole back piece. The blower is wonderful, the best that I have had or demoed. However I can't be taking it in for warranty work every 3 months.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

it just looks cheaply made to me
Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallawncare912
it just looks cheaply made to me
The back piece. Yes. The rest of the blower No. It is very comfortable and blows the hose down. But it does have its problems.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

sildoc,

I'll make a phone call and share the buzz with someone who will follow up on it.
But let me get this straight... you have personally had 2 and know 1 other person who has also?

If it's a design defect, rather than just some bad parts, they will want to stop production on that, address the issue and publish a recall on it.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 05-04-2006, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of blower rack was it in? Was it a early style Trimmer Trap ST-2? Trimmer Trap has redesigned the ST-2 so the weight of the blower isn't on the handle anymore. The weight is supported by the bottom of the back rest just like the old ST-1 rack did with the BR400 blowers.

http://www.trimmertrap.com/racks/st2_1.jpg

Old 05-04-2006, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
What kind of blower rack was it in? Was it a early style Trimmer Trap ST-2? Trimmer Trap has redesigned the ST-2 so the weight of the blower isn't on the handle anymore. The weight is supported by the bottom of the back rest just like the old ST-1 rack did with the BR400 blowers.

I run a 600 as well no problems...though its only been with me for this spring...I will have a look at mime and see if theres any potential for it breaking...I do store mine in a cadge It may be the way that its transported on the trailer
Old 05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin

I have the Jungle Jim blower rack. None the less the handle should be strong enough to support the weight of the blower and then some. Mind you this is a Commercial machine and not a homeowner product that I would expect this from.
After the first crack and replacement I make sure that the blower is put up properly and taken easy on. I am taking it in today since I couldn't make the shop closing time yesterday and will let you know where we are at later tonight.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Talked to the dealer today. They will order part and fix for now. Stihl rep is due on the first week of June so they will present now the second broken back. Good thing stihl is warantying these as the stinking thing is almost 60 bucks.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Any idea if there is a service bulletin on this problem? I replaced mine a while ago because I thought someone tried to steal mine. I just got to thinking when I was ordering parts today that this is probably what really hapened.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to check mine in the morning.
Thanks for the heads up.

Corrie A.