Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think we are going with someone else.

Thats what I heard after doing a great spring cleanup this year and actually coming in $5.00 lower a cut then the previous guy.

Boy did they make a mistake.

I do 3 other houses around them and I was there today. The guy who said no had dead spots all over his yard.

Come to find out his new lawn company sprayed for weeds last week but did it with RoundUp.

He asked me if I would start doing it for the price of what he was paying now which was lower then me and I snickered and said sorry and that I was full.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay
Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NEXT! Holy smokes. People like that are a dime a dozen. If you had kept them they would nickle and dime you to death.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had 1 customer pull that on me this year as well. I worked for this elderly couple for abot 3 years. Last Fall they wanted to have a nice lawn, but they only wanted the front done. I aerated seeded and fertilized.The grass came in great, I had to cut it once in Feb. When early March came I put down a weed and feed treatment, with awsome results. Best looking lawn on the block. I started cutting and it striped super nice, the husband said it looks better than it ever had looked. I started getting complaints from the wife saying I was killing her lawn. She thought the lighter stripes was dead grass. I told her its just how I mow. I said youre husband just stopped me to tell me how good it looks, she said he dont know what he's talking about. I tell her I aint the only guy that cuts grass on this street. She cowers down and says the lawn looks fine . I told her she would need to continue to fertilize on a regular basis, water when needed ect. She says I dont want to do any of these things, thats why I had you seed our yard She became a real PITA while her husband continued to complement me. I start cutting this year for the 2nd time and she said "didn't you get my message? we are not using you this year". I never got the message but I was extremely happy. I have no desire to work for folks like this. I talked to the new guy, and he could tell right away she was going to be a PITA, so he asked me if I would take her back if he could get out of mowing it. I said no way no how. He does a nice job and stripes the lawn as well. She told him she was paying me 20.00 to cut (I was charging 36.00) so the guy would keep his price in that dollar amount. People kill me shopping and lying ect. I hope it works out for the guy, he seems like a good guy. Just needed to vent a little.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I get some of those from time to time. If you can do it, anytime someone drops you for whatever reason, don't forget to raise their rates by 5 dollars if they call back... But in my case, I find it as easy to just not worry about it.

Anytime, and I mean any time a customer makes a comment that I even remotely interpret as 'I dont care for those stripes,' that's one cat in the bag because no more wasting time here, don't do stripes on this lawn no matter what... The racetrack is faster anyhow.

Thou I must admit nobody complains when I criss-cross it, but man what a waste of time lol
Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get nervous when the wives approach me. Logic and facts don't work on them and I have no other way to communicate. I don't speak "womaneeze" (as my wife can attest) so I just treat them like I'm talking to somebody speaking a foreign language: Yes, uh huh, is that right? really? nodding and smiling the whole time hoping she'll go away.

I gave up after about the 35th time trying to explain why the weeds didn't die in 12 seconds when using roundup. They get this funny look on their face like they're constipated, turn a little red and say "I've never heard of that" and walk away.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA
Thats what I heard after doing a great spring cleanup this year and actually coming in $5.00 lower a cut then the previous guy.

Boy did they make a mistake.

I do 3 other houses around them and I was there today. The guy who said no had dead spots all over his yard.

Come to find out his new lawn company sprayed for weeds last week but did it with RoundUp.

He asked me if I would start doing it for the price of what he was paying now which was lower then me and I snickered and said sorry and that I was full.

Good for you. Sometimes we get to be in the drivers seat and it feels good to tell someone "sorry we have a full schedule or yeah I can take you back but it'll be ten dollars more to fit you into the schedule" People have no loyalty and they soon find out )no pun intened) the grass is not greener on the other side).
Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreenpros
I get nervous when the wives approach me. Logic and facts don't work on them and I have no other way to communicate. I don't speak "womaneeze" (as my wife can attest) so I just treat them like I'm talking to somebody speaking a foreign language: Yes, uh huh, is that right? really? nodding and smiling the whole time hoping she'll go away.

I gave up after about the 35th time trying to explain why the weeds didn't die in 12 seconds when using roundup. They get this funny look on their face like they're constipated, turn a little red and say "I've never heard of that" and walk away.

Really? Wives are pretty much all I deal with here. The husbands are gone at work 60 hours a week and leave the women in charge of the yard and house. Id rather deal with women then men. Women seem to be a little more forgiving with a mistake.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay
Old 05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good rule gleaned from years of experience: If someone approaches you with a bogus "problem" like described above, and you educate them and still do not get an enthusiastic response that they now understand and trust you, then it's time to say bye bye. Trust me, it will eventually not end well for you (see above example), so end it on your terms when convenient. Find a replacement customer then cut them loose.