Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2006, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, purchase the heaviest suspension truck you can afford.
An SUV/half ton truck isn't equipped for extended towing.
The problem is accelerated wear on the entire vehicle - really nails you on resel value as a mechanic can/should spot the signs of use.
Also, use a good quality seat cover. I shampoo the seats once a month and the seat covers are removed and washed once every two weeks. This process greatly helps on odor control in the trucks.
Make sure you have an oversized trans cooler if running an auto, although I prefer a manual. Overall easier on the vehicle when towing.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion if you aren't going to plow, get a cab over. Otherwise I think fords are the best. Opt for the 350 rather then the 250. Although dodges look nice I don't like thier reliability. Chevys are good too, but for plowing I would stick with the ford. If comfort is more important go with the chevy. Whatever you get make sure you have enough power and payload. If you plow get the low gears for the rear end and a limited slip. Deisel also if you can afford it.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I run an 05 Tundra. So far it has been great overall. Has plenty of power, I average about 15 mpg. It never gets used without it pulling or hauling something. It has the V8 with towing package which includes the trans cooler. Only thing I dislike is the 05 and 06 Tundra has rear drum brakes. 07 model will be disc all the way around. I have loved the truck, but I have started to look for a 3/4 ton to replace it. I want to take my bisiness a little different direction and will need the bigger truck to haul larger equip.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD
I run three trucks and four different trailers at any given time.
The trucks are all GVW 10K+ and fuel economy runs from @10mpg towing to @18 unloaded.
My favorite truck is the newest, a 2005 F350 quad cab and chassis with the V-10 and 6spd. I had a stake body dump bed installed - overall, my best vehicle.
I'm ordering one more, a '06 F250 quad cab 4x4, in about four months to replace my '97 powerstroke with 185K miles. This truck will have the 5.4 and the 6spd - same interior and color as the '05.
The XL interior is great, remove the seat covers and just rinse out the truck.
Manual crank windows, am/fm radio, air and that's it.
I'm attempting to find a decent vinyl lettering printer to install my design on the trucks. The problem is I run my trucks 6 days a week and no printer will work on sunday.
Listen, my decal guy said if I wanted I could put the decals on myself it was very easy. Mind you my decals were straight lettering and digits, my phone number for instance is almost 5 ft long on the box, but I watched HIM put them on because I was a hesitant. IT turns out they are already laid out on a stickey sheet and they just eye them up with out tools... rub out any air and pull off the stickey sheet leaving the letters on. It was very fast and efficient and actually look great.
I'm considering buying a decal cutter.... maybe maybe not.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

96 s10 use it for everything...pull a 6x10 everyday a 6x12 and a 6x14 sometimes...but love it...plus gets good gas mile.age
echo trimmers
red max back pack blower
sthil chain saws

My Page:
[url]http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258151[/]

...love what you do, do what you love, life is good...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

CBramble,

Dont buy one then. I like mine. I assume you are talking about the past tranny problem that every other ignorant person still remembers. The tranny's are all new and much stronger now. New Dodges really hold up.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb265
CBramble,

Dont buy one then. I like mine. I assume you are talking about the past tranny problem that every other ignorant person still remembers. The tranny's are all new and much stronger now. New Dodges really hold up.
I have no intention of buying one. Got me a Chevy. Has 141,00 miles on her and still running good...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

My dad has a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab with nearley 200,000 miles. Not one problem.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

newer trucks are better, but the chevys seems to be the better older truck if you have to go that route.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

97 ford ranger 2.3l 5sp
94 chevy s-10 ext cab 5.7l auto
95 chevy 1500 5.7l auto
90 chevy 1500 5.7l auto 4x4 (selling)
91 chevy 2500 6.2dsl auto 4x4 (scrapping)
06 Ford F-550 crew 6.0 psd 6sp 4x4 (8'x12' dump bed)

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag: