Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a new mower,,Which one?

Ok,,,I just landed a huge commerical contract in atlanta ga and I am thinking about getting a new mower. Currently, I have 48 inch tiger cub and a 48 inch exmark. I like the scag, but it sucks when the conditions get wet. The grass clumps up in the coners and drops out and looks like @$& !! With this said it cuts great the rest of the time and its tough as nails. As far as the exmark goes, it cuts better in wet conditions but its not as tough as the scag. Also, seems to slide down hillsides easier. Its not as heavy as the scag and I think this is reason it slides down the hillside. I was think about getting a Hustler with thier new deck design. Not really sure of which model yet, but I'm leaning toward a 52 inch cut. I was hoping that the Hustler would be heavy duty like the scag and stick on hillsides while not having the clumping issue like the scag. What's should a man do??? To many choices out there and this is a huge investment. Also thinking about a Kubota, but there bagging system sucks,,,,any opions out there? thanks The bushhogman,,
www.bushhogman.com
Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my Scag.I had a 48 in. tiger cub for 3 years and just traded it in on a 61 in. turf tiger.I demo the hustler,toro,and the chopper just to see what they were like.As far as me personally,I think the scag is just about the best commercial mower out there.You are right though about wet cutting conditions for the tiger cub.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Hustler w/ a XR-7 deck and Flex Forks. They say you can mow at almost full speed w/ one of those.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds_Lawn_Care
Get a Hustler w/ a XR-7 deck and Flex Forks. They say you can mow at almost full speed w/ one of those.
I would go with the MTD Cub product myself.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend a Grasshopper mower (that is if you have ruled out the Walker 62 or 74"). They have the out front deck, two main drive tires and then two pivoting wheels in the back. They are IMO the best wide area mowers made. No I have never owned one, but I have spent quite a few hours on one. The diesel is a superb machine. Good luck!
"The ones who really love you, walk up and down, outside the wall."
PINK FLOYD
If quizzes are quizzical, what does that make tests?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Demo demo demo...did I say demo??? This is usually the best way to make the right decision. Then ask about our experiences with the mower you want to buy.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds_Lawn_Care
I agree. I've been busy demoing a 60"/25kaw Super Z this past week. I was taking somewhere near 4 inches off of a 1200'x50' strip at 10-12 mph and it cut fairly well and it didn't bog down. I mowed it in 1/2 the time that i'd normally mow it wit h the 727A. It cut better than my 7-IronII deck does at 5mph. The only problem I had with the XR7 thus far is minor clumping with grass types similar to crabgrass and such. Overall a fantastic mower. Although you said that you were leaning toward a 52" deck take note that a 54" Hustler Z has no trim edge, therefore I'd recommend the 60" deck.Like others have said- DEMO! Good luck.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=nmez21]I agree. I've been busy demoing a 60"/25kaw Super Z this past week. I was taking somewhere near 4 inches off of a 1200'x50' strip at 10-12 mph and it cut fairly well and it didn't bog down. I mowed it in 1/2 the time that i'd normally mow it wit h the 727A. It cut better than my 7-IronII deck does at 5mph. The only problem I had with the XR7 thus far is minor clumping with grass types similar to crabgrass and such. Overall a fantastic mower. Although you said that you were leaning toward a 52" deck take note that a 54" Hustler Z has no trim edge, therefore I'd recommend the 60" deck.Like others have said- DEMO! Good luck.[/QUOTE

Are you just Bsn ? I have a new Hustler and really like it but to say it can cut twice as fast as soimething else and do a better job is hard to believe?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious as to what you mean by a huge commercial contract based upon the fact you currently run 48's and thinking of moving up to a 52"?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

mowers

walker, if no hills are involved, they won't go uphill going forward or sideways. watch torning a walker will tear up grass real easy. rich mfg convertible mower i love it, great on hills, can change decks, and you can walk behind on steep hills and ditches. tons of power great in wet grass. they will deliver demo to you and last years models on sale for 40% off right now. lists 8800 cost me 5300 and i got extra 48" brush deck and 60" deck came with mower, 22hp engine with lots of power can, get up to 30 hp motor. www.convertiblemowers.com