Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Send Pictures??????

I guess it is your tractor,but building a pontoon and floating out into the pond is not a good idea.Plus how you going to anchor the pontoon when your digging and keeping it from tipping.

Where are you going to put the silt? in the pontoon with you?????? Sounds real interesting to me.I'm sure the rental company will like copsized pontoon and backhoe under water.Forget the pontoon idea.

If you want to clean your pond use the backhoe to cut a hole in the dam and drain it, let it dry and then try to clean it.Your talking major project here.

Just in case you do try this? PLease do send pictures!!!!!!!!! Good luck.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I OWN THIS TOOL! That's who you should listen to...

The Northstar Trencherman by Northern Tool is a GREAT asset to me. It is lightweight and easily towable, very manueverable, and really does have the digging force they claim. Often I will tow it where I need it and just use in place still hotched to the truck, but even though it is small, unhitched it still has tremendous digging force because it has two front legs that are as strong as the earth you are digging. I have dug through compacted NJ clay soil, even with tree roots and rocks, (small ones) and have yet to find earth this thing won't rip into. I can lay footings and pour foundations with trenches dug with this, and even removed a couple of medium tree roots with the force of this tool.

The Northstar Trencherman 2 MAY LOOK LIKE A TOY, BUT IT IS A SERIOUS WORKHORSE!

I checked out a couple other brands of similar design and they can not mach the strength and durability of this Northern Tool brand backhoe. You'll get a couple of decades of work out of this machine. Not like that cheap foreign crap.

For leveling ground yeah the bucket is too small, you need an excavator, but for digging trenches, foundation work, footings, the trencherman saves me a lot of time and money because it won't disturb the ground the way bigger machines do, (customers like that) and I can squeeze it into places no full-sized machine can go, so I don't have to do it by hand.

Maybe if you are out in the country this is not a problem, but working on tight urban and suburban lots, the fact that it is so narrow and doesn't rip up peoples landscaping except where I intend to, makes the Northstar Trencherman one of my most-used tools for digging anything other than a full basement.

NOW, that being said...it is a crazy idea to try to dig earth from below the water from a small pontoon floating above it. You will have no counterforce other than the surface of the water. Sounds "fishy" to me, and NO MACHINE deserves to die a watery death like that!

I want to see the video of any attempt if you do try it.

But for regular digging, this tool is one pf the best investments I ever made. It is a B%+€h to assemble, but that is because all the parts are so heavy-duty. you only have to do it once, thank goodness!

Oh, and don't forget to put in the stabilizing pin when you tow it, and to take it out before you use it. My solid steel pin got some serious bent in it when I forgot to take it out one time. How's that for digging strength?