Register free!

Old 05-08-2006, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

poiana weed control problem in bermuda

How Do I Get Red Of Poiana Weeds In A Yard That Is Taking Over The Bermuda Without Hurting The Grass.......

I Know That Summer Heat Will Burn Alot Of It Up But I Need To Stop It Now.........here In Oklahoma The Grass Has Been Green For About 3 Weeks...

What Chemicals Can I Use On His Yard To Control This Problem . And What Is The Best Method...

200 Gallon Spray Rig Or Hand Pump Sprayer..

Thanks..

Loren Sanders
Old 05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wait it out and the let the heat get it. Then use Barricade as your winter pre emerge
Old 05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First, it is spelled Poa Annua.
Common name Annual Bluegrass.
Simple, use Revolver - a bit expensive but worth it.
Also, do not "wait it out". Once the Poa is at tillering/seed head height - you are done for.
Timed properly, Pre-M might knock it back somewhat as well as Embark but timing with this C3 grass is extremely critical.
Once you have seen seed heads, Revolver is the only choice for control, provided you do not spray over a TT Tall Fescue overseeded site.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

How do i spray the barricade......

The poa annua is over 65 percent of the yard mixed in with bermuda....it would be hard to spot spray it.....................should i use my spray hose rig and just spray the whole yard. What will it do to the grass......

I was told to use MSMA ..... and spray out of rig cuz it would be to hard to spray with a back pack sprayer.....its about 4000sq feet.

thanks..

please reply someone.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the Bermudagrass lawn overseeded with Turf Type Tall Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass or Annual Ryegrass that you want to save for this year?
If no, then broadcast spray per label directions the Revolver.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Revolver is not your only option. Certainty and TranXit work very well on Poa annua. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri-AFC
Revolver is not your only option. Certainty and TranXit work very well on Poa annua. Good luck.
TranXit is not labled for residential I believe.

You could also use Sencor to remove the Poa. The advice you received to use MSMA is inaccurate.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfUnlimited
TranXit is not labled for residential I believe.
That is correct....my mistake.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

other poa annua options....

Can I just ask the customer to wait until fall and then use post emergent simosine. Wont it keep it from coming up next spring......But will it kill off the existing poa annua thats there if i spray it in the fall....

Also will the revolver even tho its quite expensive brown the grass. And for how long......I have to use my spray rig because the yard is mostly covered and I dont want to use a backpack. It would take way to long........

What other stuff can you kill with revolver.....
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorensanders
Can I just ask the customer to wait until fall and then use post emergent simosine. Wont it keep it from coming up next spring......But will it kill off the existing poa annua thats there if i spray it in the fall....
Yes you can just do nothing and the Poa will die out in the heat. It is an annual, so if you spray Simazine in the Fall you will prevent it next year. The best way to prevent Poa is to apply a general preemergent at a low rate in August and then use Simazine after the Bermuda goes dormant.

If the customer wants it out now, Revolver is the best option. It will not harm the Bermuda. You can also use Revolver this Summer to treat Dallisgrass and Goosegrass. It is also great for removing Fescue and Ryegrass from Bermuda and Zoysia. I bet you have a few lawns with that problem. I use it more for spot sprays, but sometimes blankets are required for situations like yours.

Sure it is about $180 per bottle, but it breaks down to a cost of $2.23 per M at the commonly used rate. For your situation, you could probably use the 1/2 rate to remove the Poa, which would be 0.2 oz per M at a cost of just over $1. These costs are not that high at all.